Sunday, September 5, 2021

September 5, 2021 Brunch - PPI Chicken and Zucchini Enchiladas with an Egg, Dinner - Grilled Salmon with PPI Grilled Sweet Potato and Onion, cucumber, and tomato salad

September 5, 2021 Brunch - PPI Chicken and Zucchini Enchiladas with an Egg,  Dinner - Grilled Salmon with PPI Grilled Sweet Potato and Onion, cucumber, and tomato salad


 I awakened at 5:30 hoping to see PL soccer and soon discovered that this was a bye week to allow for scheduling World Cup elimination round play, so I adjusted my plan and waited until 10:00 to watch the England v. Andorra match.


At 7:00 Suzette and I walked 1.2 miles, which was wonderful in two respects; no pain and enough stamina to walk 1.2 miles.


It gave me confidence in my new regimen of adding yoga to the mix of activities I do.


When we returned Suzette heated the last of the PPI chicken and Zucchini enchiladas and fried two eggs.  She also peeled and sliced an avocado and garnished the enchiladas with crema and slices of avocado.  Suzette made a Bloody Mary and poured me a glass of Clamato with the juice of 1/2 of a lime for drinks.


Suzette worked in the yard and in her office most of the day, while I watched TV; first the news programs, then England v. Andorra, then I read my book, then 8 really enjoyed watching Jackson State play football against Florida A & M.  It reminded me of my high school days when we would go watched the black high schools’ football games.  The energy of their athleticism and the celebratory nature of their marching bands is still manifest in the predominantly black college games such as the one today. 


I kept switching between the football game and the U.S. Open Tennis round of sixteen women’s match between 33 year old multiple grand slam winner Korber from Germany and 18 year old second year entrant Fernandez from Canada.  Fernandez played a very creative and mature game and won the match.  One of the commentators was Chris Everett, who kept commenting on how skillful and how Fernandez had that extra creative component and how Fernandez could go all the way.  Then the other commentator asked Chris what age was she when she won her first grand slam and she answered “19”.  So I had the feeling that I was watching a new era in women’s tennis.


At 5:00 I returned to the kitchen and T.V. room to watch the news and start to prep dinner.  Suzette wanted to prep and garnish a grilled salmon dish 

in order to demonstrate to the kitchen staff what she wanted them to do for a catering job later this month. We also wanted to make a salad with the fresh lemon cucumbers from our garden and a lovely tomato from the  garden and the Center. Suzette also wanted to reheat several slices of previously grilled sweet potato.


The Salad


So I sliced and diced two slices of red onion, I peeled, seeded, and diced two lemon cucumbers from our garden, and the large tomato from the Center, while Suzette went to the garden to pick several basil leaves that she chopped and mixed into a simple balsamic, salt, and olive oil dressing.



The Grilled Salmon


Suzette also picked thyme sprigs that she used to flavor some melted butter that she brushed over the salmon filet and drizzled with lemon juice before she grilled it on a water soaked cedar 1 x 6 inch plank cut to fit the length of the salmon filet.


Suzette grilled the salmon perfectly it was pink and juicy on over half of the filet and more fully cooked but tender on the other half.  Here is a photo of how Suzette wanted the grilled salmon presented on the salmon platter.




We opened a bottle of 2018 French Sauvignon Blanc that was very food friendly that I bought at Trader Joe’s for $6.99, I think.  Here is a picture.




At 6:00 we watched the US v. Canada World Cup qualifying match.  It was a 1 to 1 tie, which left Canada above the line for qualifying and the US below the automatic qualifying line.


During the game Suzette made whipped cream and we ate slices of raspberry pie with whipped cream.  I drank a cup of chai with my pie and Suzette drank a glass of limoncello with her slice.




As the game ended at 8:00 the air erupted was percussive sound and we realized that the annual Labor Day fireworks display was beginning at ACC, so we went to the seat beside the bocce court and watched the sky filled with elaborate displays of aerial fireworks for 20 minutes.


We then got ready for bed and Suzette worked for a while as I spoke to Amy and later Suzette joined the conversation about Luke’s intended trip.


We then went to bed.


Bon Appetit





 

No comments:

Post a Comment