Wednesday, September 1, 2021

August 31, 2021 Lunch - Penne Pasta with mushrooms, onion, chicken. tomatoes, Shishito peppers and steak. Dinner - Restaurant Mas



August 31, 2021 Lunch - Penne Pasta with mushrooms, onion, chicken. tomatoes, Shishito peppers and steak. Dinner - Restaurant Mas


The big news today is that I received my booster Moderna vaccination.  I had an appointment at 10:30 at Sam’s Club.  The Pharmacy staff could not have been nicer.  I filled out a couple of pieces of paper with a tech and then the pharmacist injected me.  I sat and read my book for ten or fifteen minutes and then I left.


I awakened at 7:00 and watched the news until 8:15 when I walked 2/3 mile. I then ate a bowl of granola with milk, blueberries, yogurt and banana slices until 9:30.  I took a shower and dressed and drove to Sam’sClub.


The check engine light had come on, so I called Jody and he said to come by.  He connected the diagnostic computer and immediately determined it was probably a low coolant issue, so he topped off the coolant and I was on my way.  Later in the afternoon Jody brought my mini after replacing the rear struts and rocker arms. Later in the evening I drove it to the Hilton, now called Hotel Andaluz, and the mini drove well.


When returned home at 12:30 I combined about 1/2 cup of cooked penne with chicken, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, and tomatoes with the PPI piece of rib steak with mushrooms, zucchini, and Shishito peppers. I also ate the last of the tomato, cucumber, and basil salad with a balsamic dressing.


I opened a bottle of Trader Joe’s 2015 Napa Valley Meritage/Red Blend and drank a glass of wine that complemented the dish perfectly.



Bev and Don drove to the Center to enjoy a spa day and lunch with Suzette at the Greenhouse Bistro.


After the market closed at 2:00 I checked my portfolio and found that it had lost .3%.  Not a good day but not an awful day.


I drafted a lease and then at 4:00 lay down to watch Ari Melber and nap.


Suzette came home at 5:00 so I joined her for the news but she was constantly interrupted by staffing problems.


We did discuss dinner briefly and she said she and Don and Bev wanted to go out. We looked at several restaurants and finally settled on Restaurant Mas at the Hotel Andaluz because we were in the mood for tapas and Bev wanted Salmon.


Don and Bev arrived around 7:30 and we drove to the hotel at 2nd and Copper.


Suzette requested an outdoor table so we were seated on the patio, which was shielded from the street pedestrian and vehicular traffic by a sturdy wrought iron fence.



                                                       One of the lobby murals


Suzette ordered pork belly and I immediately ordered Squash blossoms stuffed with goat cheese, battered and deep fried; braised Pork belly, and 


There was a tapa menu, with many of the item $15.00. Bev ordered deep fried Brussels sprouts, which turned out to be the most interesting dish.  The waitress said the prep included cooking the Brussels Sprouts halfway in water, then coating them in rice flour and deep frying them, and finally drizzling them with a sweet sherry reduction and serving them with Romesco sauce.



                             The Bacon wrapped dates with creamed goat cheese


                                            The Brussel Sprouts with Romesco


                            The Cooked Black Pig bruschetta with Caramelized Onions


                                                 My small plate filled with tapas


                             My plate with a fried stuffed squash blossom  and pork belly


                                                             The pork belly tapa



                                              The stuffed squash blossom tapa


                                                       A plate of tapas


That was the level of cuisine that we experienced with the other tapas.  The two other tapas I liked were the hot bacon wrapped dates with a tasty creamed goat cheese sauce and a cooked Iberico pork bruschetta with some amazing caramelized red onions.  


Bev also ordered a seared salmon that she said was the best she had ever eaten because it was not over cooked and served with an interesting Israeli couscous made with a tomato cream sauce and gourmet salad greens.





We ordered a bottle of 2016 Museum Reserva Tempranillo from Castile-Leon. It was a lovely dinner and a lovely bottle of wine.


At 9:30 we said goodnight to Don and Bev and drove home. 


Bon Appetit







 


No comments:

Post a Comment