Thursday, September 16, 2021

September 15, 2021 Lunch - PPI Chicken Cacciatore. Dinner - Bacon and Vegetable Omelet

September 15, 2021 Lunch - PPI Chicken Cacciatore. Dinner - Bacon and Vegetable Omelet 


We have been working more than usual but today we slowed down as we ready ourselves for a long weekend trip to Colorado to join BIlly and Elaine.


I had another meeting at 9:00 this morning, so I got dressed at 7:30, when I got a call from Brian that he had the rent check, so I drove to the Tap room and picked it up and discussed the improvements he is making to the back yard to turn it into an outdoor dining and music venue by October 1.


Willy has approved the improvements so I was okay with them.  The only thing that bothered me was that he was turning my zen rock garden into a beer garden, cutting a hole in the middle of the wooden walkway to insert a large fire pit. I will be happy if it works for him.


I then drove back home and finished revising two documents for the sale of stock in the Indian bank IPO and ate a blueberry Newton.


We finished by noon and Peter Eller came over for lunch and to pick up this month’s book club book, Travels with Charley by Steinbeck.


I cleaned off the curing brine from the two salmon fillets I had gravad and wrapped them in Saran and put them into the fridge.


We then heated and ate leftovers.  Peter ate some of the PPI Red Cabbage, bratwurst, and potatoes with a Warsteiner Oktoberfest beer. I ate some of the PPI Chicken Cacciatore with a glass of Chianti.



                                                       
My Chicken Cacciatore 


After Peter left I watched the market close and was pleased that it finally rebounded a bit after 5 or 6 down days.


I then went to the bank to deposit the rent check, get several cashier’s check, and have several documents notarized for the Indian transaction.


I then checked my phone and saw that the passport office at the main post office was open, so I drove the four or five blocks rather than a couple of miles to a Walgreens.  I was thrilled when I found it open and that the attendant could take my passport photo.


Elk Bourguignon- 


After I obtained my photos, I drove home and rested until 6:00 when Suzette roused me out of bed to help prepare the Elk Bourguignon. I cut three slices of thick bacon into lardons 1/4 by 1 1/2 inch and then diced the elk tenderloin, an onion, three carrots, and crushed two cloves of garlic.


Suzette braised bacon and then the elk meat and then the vegetables in a large enamel casserole and added the meat back and dusted all the ingredients with flour and cooked the flour for 3 minutes and then added a cup of beef broth, 1/2 tsp. of thyme, a bay leaf, and two cups of Pinot noir wine and baked the covered casserole in the oven for two hours.


                                                             The braised elk tenderloin


I quartered 1/2 lb. of white mushrooms and Suzette thawed 1 lb. of frozen pearl onions, which she added after sautéing them in the remaining bacon grease, and then baked the stew 1 more hour.




We tasted the elk stew and liked it.  It had no grease such as beef Bourguignon would and that caused it to lack some flavor so we added some salt and an additional cup of broth to loosen the sauce, so that when we re-heat it in Colorado it will not be too thick.


Dinner - Suzette also had eaten a bowl of chicken cacciatore later in the afternoon, so neither of us was particularly hungry for dinner.  I made an omelet with a shallot minced, two pieces of bacon, a handful of snow peas, a cup of spinach, two mushrooms sliced, the flowerets removed from a stalk of broccoli, about 1 oz of red bell pepper, and a clove of garlic.





I sautéed everything but the snow peas and spinach until the bacon began to brown in a medium skillet with two T. of butter abs 1 T. of olive oil.  While the vegetables were sautéing, I whisked two eggs with a tsp. of soy and a T. of Chinese Cooking wine.  I then added the spinach and snow peas and sautéed them.  After a couple of minutes I added the egg mixture and cooked it for five or six minutes until it set.  I then lay six or seven slices of Jarlsberg cheese on half of the omelet. In a couple of minutes I flipped one side unto the cheese side and Suzette fetched the open bottle of Pinot Grigio from the fridge and poured it into a glass.







I then slid the omelet onto a plate and ate a wonderful dinner.


Suzette also made a dinner to her liking.  She stuffed six mission figs with goat cheese and drank a glass of Ruby port with them.




We watched the news and at 9:00 Suzette went to bed and I packed and blogged and then went to bed at 10:30.


Bon Appetit








 

No comments:

Post a Comment