Wednesday, June 9, 2021

June 9, 2021 Lunch - Salami Sandwiches with dill pickles. Dinner - New Recipe - Poke’ and Teriyaki Marinated Grilled Swordfish Skewers with Sushi Rice with Chard and Steamed Broccoli 


I slept until 7:30 and started working at my desk until I got hungry around 9:30 and fried two slices of bacon and two eggs plus I toasted two slices of French Baguette that Suzette buttered and I spread with my newly purchased pineapple preserves that I bought in Mexico.


It was delicious and got me over my hunger.  


I then worked until 12:30 when I went to Sprouts to shop.  I bought fresh corn, lion’s mane mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, broccoli, a bunch of asparagus, a cucumber, a red bell pepper, a head of celery, milk, a salmon fillet, an Aji tuna steak, blueberries, shallots, yogurt, and two swordfish steaks.  I used the $5.00 off coupon on produce purchases in excess of $20.00 I received from Sprouts.


When I arrived home after 3:00 I was starving again, so I made a quick lunch by toasting two slices of Neighbor’s Mill Multigrain bread and spreading them with fig flavored goat cheese and laying slices of tomato and salami on them. I drank a beer with them and ate four 1/2 slices of my homemade dill pickles that were delicious, crisp and not too sour.


It was 4:00 when i finished lunch. I had invited Willy to dinner, so I heated 1/3 each of soy, Aji Mirin, and sake plus 1 T. of sugar to make teriyaki sauce and poured it into a gallon freezer bag and added a swordfish steak and the salmon fillet and put the bag into the fridge 

to marinate.


When Suzette arrived at 5:00 we rested for and hour and then cut a board to put the fish on and while it was soaking we watched the news.  Finally, after we spoke to Willy around 7:30 and determined he was not coming tonight for dinner we decided to grill the swordfish.  I made a cup of rice I added 1 T. each of Aji Mirin, rice vinegar, and sugar to the two cups of water.


I also cut the flowerets of a head of broccoli and put them in the steamer basket and filled the steamer to within a fraction of an inch of the bottom of the basket with water.  


Poke/Teriyaki Swordfish Skewers


Suzette remembered the tuna poke we ate at Frente al Punto in Sayulita and looked on the internet for a poke recipe, since it contained several of the ingredients in the teriyaki sauce she added sesame oil and 1/2 of a large shallot, and grated fresh ginger root. She then cubed the swordfish into 3/4 inch cubes and marinated the swordfish for another 20 to 30 minutes in the mixture of teriyaki sauce and poke sauce and then skewered the swordfish cubes on steel skewers and grilled the grill.


I started the broccoli when Suzette turned the skewers and dinner was ready as the sun set.  I fetched Mexican beers from the garage and Suzette plated our dishes with rice, broccoli, and five or six cubes of fish. We went out to eat in the cool evening.







This was the best method of cooking swordfish I have ever tasted.  The sesame oil and teriyaki marinade, kept it from drying out and Suzette invented a new grilling technique for this dish.  She heated the grill and then turned he heat down to a lower temperature when she cooked the fish so it would not burn.  The result was the most tender swordfish I have ever tasted.  The sesame oil and lower temperature kept the swordfish from drying out and getting tough.


After all the fish I ate in Mexico, this new recipe exceeds them all in flavor and is the most memorable and creates a new recipe.


Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment