Thursday, June 17, 2021

June 16, 2021. Lunch - PPI Chili Relleno. Dinner - Chicken and Vegetable stir-fry over boiled Egg White Noodles

June 16, 2021.  Lunch - PPI Chili Relleno. Dinner - Chicken and Vegetable stir-fry over boiled Egg White Noodles

Today was my big day at the dentist.  I had to have two cavities filled.


Before then I walked a mile with Suzette and we then ate bowls of Tuscan Melon with yogurt.  I added a small handful of granola to my bowl.




I could not eat for three hours after my 11:00 surgery in order to let the face numbing anesthetic wear off.  So at 3:00 I heated the leftover Chili Relleno and toasted a flour tortilla and ate the last 1/3 of a swordfish quesadilla Suzette had made for her lunch.


Then at 7:00 I started cooking dinner.  We wanted to use the roasted chicken breast and add lots of vegetables to it. I had been impressed with the colors of the tapa Suzette made last night and wanted lots of colorful vegetables.


I also wanted to use the Yu Choy and white beech mushrooms I bought at TaLin and a can of sliced water chestnuts.


The Chicken and Vegetable Stir fry


I chopped and sliced about 1/2 cup sweet onion, 1 T. each of garlic and ginger finely minced, red bell pepper, and cauliflower flowerets and put them in a bowl.  The idea is to add ingredients sequentially by the amount of cooking time they require so the final dish has a uniform texture. This was a four bowl dish plus boiled noodles.


In the next two bowls I sliced and separated the thick stalks of about 1 lb. of Yu Choy from its tender green leaves. I sliced the thicker stalks in half and put them into one colander and rinsed them and cut the leaves into bite sized sections and put them into the other colander and rinsed them and then put each into a bowl.


I sectioned about a cup of cauliflower flowerets and then cut them into small pieces and added them to the bowl with the onion and red pepper.


Then I chopped and added about 1 cup of red cabbage and about 3 oz. of the white beech mushrooms to the Yu Choy stalk bowl after removing their dirt covered roots.


I then opened a small can 7 oz. of water chestnuts and added them to the Yu Choy leaf bowl.


Finally I chopped up about 1 1/2 cup of roasted chicken and put it in the fourth bowl.


I started cooking at this point.


I heated about 2 T. of peanut oil and then added the first bowl with the onion, red bell pepper, minced garlic and ginger because that takes the longest to cook and because I always cook the ginger and garlic first to flavor the oil and the dish.  I cooked the first bowl at high heat for ten to fifteen minutes.


While the first bowl of ingredients was cooking I made a seasoning sauce by combining 1 1/2 T. of cornstarch with about 2 tsp. of sesame oil, 2 T. of Chinese Cooking wine, 1 T. of soy sauce, 1/4 tsp. of Garlic Chili paste, 1 tsp. of salt and 1 tsp. of sugar and about 1/4 cup of water.


Then I added the bowl with the Yu Choy stalks, mushrooms, and cabbage and cooked it for 6 or 7 minutes.


Then I added the Yu Choy leaves and water chestnuts bowl and the bowl of chicken cubes and covered the wok with its cover to help cook the



When it appeared that the Yu Choy leaves were wilting by turning from a bright green to a dark green I added the seasoning sauce.  I thickened quickly so I added about another 1/4 cup of water and that turned it from glue back into a light sauce that coated the ingredients and the noodles.


The Noodles


Suzette had boiled a 2 quart pot of water and boiled the noodles for about 20 seconds as the directions instructed.


Suzette then lay noodles on the bottom of each bowl and we each ladled spoonfuls of the chicken dish onto them.





It was a really delicious meal with a lot of color and flavors and textures.  Sort of the Chinese equivalent to Suzette’s tapa the night before.


We drank bottles of beer.


The dinner was so satisfying that I did not feel the urge to eat any dessert after the meal.


We went to bed early at around 9:30 soon after we finished dinner.


Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment