Saturday, June 12, 2021

June 11, 2021 Lunch - Sashimi and Sushi Rice. Dinner - Grilled Filet Mignon and Asparagus, sautéed mushrooms and shallot, and boiled corn on the cob

June 11, 2021 Lunch - Sashimi and Sushi Rice. Dinner - Grilled Filet Mignon and Asparagus, sautéed mushrooms and shallot, and boiled corn on the cob


I awakened around 7:30 after being up several hours during the night.  I watched the news for awhile until high tech regained it upward trajectory with Nvidia leading the way as the S and P hit a new high and the NASDAQ crept closer to its all time high. 


I ate a bowl of granola, yogurt, and blueberries again for breakfast as I listened to a zoom seminar on tokenization of real estate using the block chain, which featured Aaron and Earn as one of the featured speakers and companies. Aaron called after the seminar and we discussed Earn’s evolution toward a functioning company.


I then turned my attention to the Store in Old Town. We had reached out to Frank Armenta who had helped install the original LG mini-split system yesterday and I met him at the building a bit after 11:00 today to see if he could get the a/c system working.  I was thrilled when he gave me a reasonable estimate to fix the system and warrant the work for a year.  I accepted and he promised to work all day on Saturday to fix the system and I promised to pay him upon completion tomorrow.


I then returned home and thawed a filet Mignon for dinner (we had decided to eat steak for dinner) and then cut up raw salmon, Aji tuna, and scallops and sliced a piece of daikon for a lunch of sashimi and heated a bowl of PPI sushi rice.  I did not have wasabi, so I mixed a tsp. of Long’s horseradish into 1 1/2 T. of soy to make a dipping sauce. I could not eat all of the seafood, so packed what was left for lunch tomorrow.


I watched the market for the last hour until it closed at 2:00 and was pleasantly surprised to see that all three segments managed to go positive by the close, which is a great indicator that the risk on trend will continue upward next week.


My portfolio managed an almost .6% gan today, thanks mainly to Apple, Nvidia, and Square; taking my portfolio to a gain for the year of 7%.  Far less than the 32.5% gain of last year but a respectable gain that could reach 10 to 12% by year end, if the recovery keeps accelerating.


I worked until 4:30 when Suzette arrived and I finished an important document for her.  After she reviewed and approved the document I lay down and rested.  


Suzette cooked dinner tonight and it was terrific.  She grilled the filet, a pile of garlic scapes from the garden, and thick asparagus and boiled the last two ears of corn of the five ears I bought at Sprouts on Wednesday  The corn was tender and bursting with flavor, a real joy to eat.


The best dish was the sautéed mushrooms.  Suzette sliced and sautéed five or six portobello mushrooms, about 1/4 of a large shallot thinly sliced in ringlets, garlic, and fresh lavender flowers in butter and grape seed oil until throughly cooked. It was a really delicious flavor combination of a flower, onion family members, and earthy mushrooms.


The sautéed mushroom dish with the grilled steak, fresh corn on the cob, and asparagus gave the dinner a decidedly paleo character, especially since we ate it al fresco in the garden as we watched doves fly to the bird bath to drink.







We opened a bottle of 2017 De Ponte Dundee Hills Pinot Noir.  This is the first time we have tasted this wine.  We found it incredibly clean and easy to drink, a common characteristic of all of De Ponte’s wines.





After dinner Suzette wanted to watch an episode of the new Miss Fisher detective series from Australia she had read about in the newspaper.  It was very upbeat with a flashy young super model heroine as Miss Fisher and lots of mid-century modern touches and 60’s Australian rock music.  A very enjoyable experience.


Suzette went to bed at 9:30 and I stayed up to finish the book club selection, Behind the Beautiful Forevers, and write this blog entry powered by several cups of chai, glasses of Calvados, and chocolate peanut clusters.


Bon Appetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment