Tuesday, February 27, 2024

February 27, 2024. Brunch - Smoked Pork Chop and Mushroom and cheese omelet Dinner - Teriyaki Salmon with rice and Sautéd snow peas with almond slivers

February 27, 2024. Brunch - Smoked Pork Chop and Mushroom and cheese omelet  Dinner - Teriyaki Salmon with rice and Sautéd snow peas with almond slivers


I awakened to the alarm at 6:00 and showered and dressed and grabbed a fig bar and drove to my doctor’s appointment at 7:05.


After my appointment I drove home arriving about 8:30.


We decided to make breakfast.  We were in a quandary about the meat until Suzette pulled the last smoked pork chop out of the meat drawer.


I diced the smoked pork chop and minced 1/2 shallot, sliced three mushrooms and minced a clove of garlic and diced the four cold stalks of asparagus left from dinner.


Suzette began sautéing the shallot and garlic while I whisked three eggs.


We then added the asparagus and mushrooms and lay slices of the Murray’s Gruyere cheese I had bought last night at Smith’s. When everything was browned I added the egg and we cooked the egg until brown on the bottom, at which point I flipped one half onto the other half and turned off the heat and the omelet was ready.


While the omelet cooked I sliced a Kaufman’s dried tomato bagel and toasted the two halves and then spread cream cheese on each half and then lay slices of Gruyere cheese on each.


I made tea and we ate a lovely breakfast.



After breakfast we flipped the salmon to allow it  cure the other fillet.


Then Suzette went to work and I worked at my desk, including on two wills until 3:30 when i made a sandwich of salami and Gruyere cheese slices  on a slice of toasted baguette.


Suzette arrived as I was trying to back out of the garage. 


After she realized I was trying to leave she moved her car and I was able to drive to Smith’s to pick up the cane I left in the cart yesterday and buy a rack of pork ribs for $1.49/lb., the least expensive I have seen in years.


I drove home and we called a Willy to confirm dinner plans to finish preparing diner around 6:30


Dinner - I made a cup of rice at 6:00. I heated two cups of water and added 1/2 tsp. of dehydrated dashi and a few pieces of dried plaice seaweed and when the water came to a boil I stirred into the water 1 cup of rice and put the lid on the sauce pan and reduced the heat to low and simmered the rice for 30 minutes.


We snapped a handful of snow peas and Suzette sautéed them with slivered almonds in butter with a dash of salt.


Suzette put the teriyaki marinated salmon on 1 x 6 inch cedar planks she had soaked in water for about 30 minutes on the propane grill and cooked the fillets about 20 minutes.


When Willy arrived around 6:30 we decided to drink warm sake, so we heated water in an enamel sauce pan and then placed a small pitcher filled with sake into the sauce pan to heat in the simmering water.


Dinner was fabulous. I particularly liked the soft rice delicately seasoned with dashi and seaweed.




Everyone agreed that we needed to heat a second pitcher of sake.


After dinner Willy put on an episode of documentaries made documenting the  last World Cup left and then left. We watched some of the returns from the Michigan primaries and then around 9:00 Suzette went to bed.


At 10:00 I removed and rinsed clean the Gravad lax and dried it and wrapped it in Saran and bagged it and put it in the fridge.  It will stay in this cured condition for several months.






I ate a bowl of spumoni ice cream and blogged this entry and finished yesterday’s entry.


I went to bed around midnight.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment