Tuesday, February 27, 2024

February 26, 2024 Lunch - Super steak Salad. Dinner - Little neck clams with a Butter Bean Fabada style stew.

February 26, 2024 Lunch - Super steak Salad. Dinner - Little neck clams with a Butter Bean Fabada style stew. 


I ate granola with blueberries, milk, and  for breakfast.


Then I worked until 1:00 to prepare a mineral deed.


Then I made a super steak salad for lunch.  Besides about 2 oz. of PPI rib steak, I filled pasta bowl with chopped romaine lettuce, 1 1/2 diced tomato, 1/4 cucumber peeled, seeded, and diced, a hard boiled egg diced, two radishes sliced, croutons, slices of feta cheese, and thinly sliced slices of yellow onion and dressed wit Cesar salad dressing. It was a really satisfying salad.



After lunch I worked with clients until 4:00 and then drove to Smith’s to buy salmon for Gravad lax.  I was lucky that two whole 2.5 lb. filets had been marked down from $9.99 to $7.49. I also bought 8 little neck clams to make Jose Andreas’ recipe for fabes and clams, since Suzette had brought home a bag of large butter beans.


I also bought eggs, milk, bagels, a discounted wedge of Murray’s Gruyere, a plastic container of blueberries, and two bunches of large asparagus for $.99/ lb.


I was tired and left my cane in the shopping cart when I loaded my groceries into Suzette’s SUV.


When I unloaded and Suzette saw that I had bought clams she checked the Jose Andreas Tapa cookbook and prepared the Asturian bean and clam dish, but with Little neck clams substituted for River clams and butter beans substituted for Asturian beans.  The good news was that those two ingredients were available and ready to use without any extra preparation.




M


What did require preparation was the sauce for the dish.


I diced 1 carrot, 5 sprigs of parsley, 2/3 of an onion, and 1 tomato that Suzette blended into a sauce in the blender.


We also steamed about 1/2 of a bundle of smaller asparagus I bought last week. This is the height of the asparagus season and I love it.




Suzette then steamed the little neck clams open and combined the sauce with the clams and beans and heated the mixture.  I toasted and buttered a few slices of baguette that we dipped and ate with the soup. It was a hearty and filling dinner that we accompanied with glasses of German dry Riesling wine (Trader Joe’s Reichart Dry Riesling $5.99).





The Antiques Roadshow was not on PBS tonight so after dinner we made Gravad lax and started marinating teriyaki salmon with the two filets of fresh salmon.

Gravad Lax - We had two bunches of fresh dill. We mixed 1 cup of salt withthe 3/4 cup of sugar and 1 tsp. of crushed black pepper corns and lay layers of dill, and then the dry mixture on each side of the two salmon filets and I added strips of salmon to fill the edges of the 9 x 9 Pyrex baking dish. Then we weighed the fish down with a brick and refrigerated it.

Teriyaki Salmon - I made a teriyaki marinade by combining and heating 1/3 cup of sake, mirin, and soy sauce with 1 T. of sugar. We then placed the remaining pieces of salmon in a freezer bag and poured the teriyaki sauce into the bag and sealed in the sauce and placed it in a flat spot in the meat drawer of the fridge to marinate. 

We went to bed at 9:30;so I could get up at 6:00 to make my 7:15 doctor’s appointment.


Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment