Saturday, November 4, 2017

November 3, 2017 Lunch Sushi Zushi, Dallas, Texas. Dinner – Shanghai Restaurant


November 3, 2017 Lunch Sushi Zushi, Dallas, Texas. Dinner – Shanghai Restaurant

I have to say that today was memorable because Apple broke upward.  It was up over $7.00 in the pre-market but settled down into the $3.50 range after the market opened and finished strong at $4.39, which puts it at a market cap that is over $900 billion dollars, which I think makes it the highest market cap company in the world.  I had a great day in the market and I think that Apple will continue to increase in value.  It sold 47 million phones in the last 90 days.  It has $238 billion in cash which makes it richer than many countries.  It's dominance and earnings foretell further increases in its stock price in 2018, when both the model and X are in full production.

I had tropical fruit salad, granola, yogurt, and milk for breakfast.  I got ready and Suzette and I went to vote in the mayoral election and then she drove me to the airport for my flight to Dallas.  I was able to take the 10:05 flight and arrive at 12:45 instead of 2:30.

Billy picked me up and we drove to the Midtown area, an area between McKinney and the art museums intersected by Cole Ave. that has been renovated into a mixed use development. Here are some photos.













Billy had an appointment at Starbucks so I wandered down the street looking for a place to eat lunch.  I soon saw a sign for sushi and turned a corner and found Sushi Zushi, sound sounded a little corny, but I thought I would inquire about the menu.  I walked in and asked if they served Chirashi.  The greater said, “we have a Chirashi bento box that we serve until 3:00,”and pulled out a sheet of paper that illustrated the bento box.  I saw that it was $14.00 and I was hungry, so I said to myelf, “How bad can it be? And told the gentleman, “thank you, I will have a Chirashi bento box.”

I sat at a table on the sidewalk because the day was pleasant and I could watch the trolley ply the street.

Soon a bowl of miso soup was brought with thick pieces of seaweed and chunks of tofu that had a fresh dashi broth flavor.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Then when the bento box came I was really impressed; it had a two large containers.  In one was a broth in which rested about six or seven cubes of soft tofu that had been battered in tempura and deep fried.  A wonderful warm dish.  The other large section was filled with a layer of sushi rice and shredded daikon on which were piled with three slices of aji tuna, two slices of mackerel and salmon, a slice of albacore tuna, a slice of octopus, two egg omelet slices, a slice of smoked Bonita, two strands of pickled burdock, a slice of octopus, and a couple of sticks of imitation crab meat.  One of the smaller sections was filled with four slices of California roll.  The other other smaller section was a pile of seaweed salad beside a pile of squid salad.  Finally, the small round center was filled with a small pile of red flying fish eggs.  A truly sumptuous feast.  It was served with a three hole ramekin containing pickled ginger, wasabi, and a mix of fresh green onion rounds and fresh rounds of thin Thai prik nam chilis.  I ordered green tea and was served a steel pot of a classical design in which was a infusion basket filled with a pretty high quality matcha.

I felt like I was at the pinnacle of a very special food chain as I read the section of Dharma Bums in which Kerouac and Ginsberg and Philip Whalen are sitting in Gary Snyder’s small bungalow in Berkeley in 1955 drinking tea and wine, as I ate my bento with sips of good green tea.


Billy joined me after a while and ordered a small plate with five pan seared gyoza.

We ate and talked and then drove back to Billy’s house around 4:30 after Billy stopped at Trader Joe’s for Lax.

I took a nap and then we watched the News Hour and then drove to Shanghai for dinner.  Shanghai is a family favorite that we have gone to for many years.  It is the new concession that it is not as good as it once was. Perhaps because a new generation has taken over.

We ordered vegetable Lo Mein, Fish in Black Bean Sauce, Salt and Pepper shrimp, and Wuxing Pork Ribs.

The favorite was the fish in black bean sauce, a complex thick spicy sauce with a slight sweetness to it.  Everyone liked the Wuxing Pork Ribs cooked in an interesting possibly five spice BBQ sauce.  I noticed other  customers ordering this dish also.  Jerry joined us for dinner which was pleasant.

After dinner we went back to Billy and Elaine’s   Billy brought out four bottles, the Bartlett’s Apple Brandy I bought him, the bottle of 20 year old DuPont Calvados I bought him, a bottle of Roboult Marc Du Bourgogne, and a bottle of Roboult Fine Marc De Bourgogne.  There was a crystal clear sky and a full moon, so we poured tastes of our drink of choice into large cognac glasses and set chairs  in an area of the back yard in full view of the moon and sat and talked and bathed ourselves in moonlight.



I Tasted all four brandies and although they were all really good, the Marc Du Bourgogne was my favorite because it triggered a déjà vu feeling of being in Burgundy after a good meal with that first sip of Marc going down the throat.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment