Monday, November 13, 2017

November 13, 2017 Lunch – Sumo Sushi. Dinner – sautéed Pork Chop and onion with steamed cauliflower and asparagus with a sweet mustard and dill cream sauce

November 13, 2017 Lunch – Sumo Sushi. Dinner – sautéed Pork Chop and onion with steamed cauliflower and asparagus with a sweet mustard and dill cream sauce

I am being good today.  I started with a breakfast of granola, yogurt, milk and poached Quince.

I was hungry so I had a piece of buttered Wasa bread with slices of Manchego melted cheese with a cup of green tea at 10:00 and then another slice of East bread heated with a bit of the PPI omelet from yesterday at 11:30.

I met Robert Mueller for lunch at 1:00 at Sumo Sushi. We both ordered the sashimi salad for $16.95 and Robert also ordered a special roll covered with spicy tuna with a special hot sauce and with a tempura cooked shrimp incased inside the sushi rice with sliced cucumber.

I drank green tea and Robert drank a Kirin beer.  Robert’s constant companion, Lothar, a pedigreed German Shepard, joined us for lunch as was absolutely well behaved, resting stretched out motionless beside Robert’s chair.

At 3:00 I rode to Rio Bravo and then watched Mad Money and the news.  At 6:00 I began cooking dinner.  I wanted to use up the thawed pork chop and as many vegetables as possible.  I found ½ head of cauliflower and some asparagus in the fridge.

I steamed the cauliflower and asparagus and sautéed the pork chop with two slices of onion in 3 T. of butter.  When the pork chop and onions were cooked I put them on a plate and added 2 T. of flour and three cloves of garlic to the butter in the skillet in which I had cooked the pork chop and onion slices.  After a couple of minutes the roux thickened and I added 1 ½ T. of Bavarian sweet mustard and ¼ cup of chopped fresh dill weed. I then began adding milk and stirring with a whisk until the roux loosened into a creamy sauce.  The sauce quickly thickened again, so I added white vermouth to thin it and cooked it until it thickened again.  I then added more milk until the sauce stopped thickening, at which time I added 1/2 tsp. of salt and a dash each of white pepper and smoked paprika.  I then filled my plate with the pork chop and steamed vegetables and drizzled both with spoonfuls of the sauce.


                                                  The sauce when ready to serve

I poured a glass of 2016 Emma Reichart French Rose’ and ate a wonderful dinner.

Steamed vegetables



I ate pistachios after dinner as I watched the Antiques Roadshow.

There are days that I am more hungry and this was one of them.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment