Saturday, November 25, 2017

November 24, 2017 Lunch - Chicken Salad. Dinner – Oyster Chowder

November 24, 2017 Lunch - Chicken Salad. Dinner – Oyster Chowder

A long lazy day.  I did not discover the markets were open until after 8:00.  I ate Lax and onion on toasted rye bread with a smear of cream cheese for breakfast.

I watched TCU beat Baylor and at noon I made a salad with a head of heart of romaine lettuce, two radishes and two green onions and ½ cucumber and ½ avocado and ½ chicken breast and two small Roma tomatoes sliced doused with Cesar Salad dressing plus ½ slice of German Landbrot  with melted slices of Swiss Gruyere cheese.

After eating and watching the Leicester City vs. West Ham United soccer match I too a nap, waking at 5:00.  Suzette wanted to make oyster chowder, so I diced two stalks of celery and two Yukon Gold potatoes she peeled, and 4 oz. of onion and went to the garden and picked seven or eight stalks of thyme from which I removed the leaves.  I suggested that we add some fresh steamed broccoli, so I fetched a small head from the garage and cut of four or five flowerets, which Suzette steamed in the microwave and the chopped into small bite sized pieces.  Suzette took the ingredients and sautéed them until tender and then added some turkey broth and half and half and simmered the ingredients with five or six PPI chopped oysters until tender (about fifteen minutes) to make an oyster stew.




I opened and poured the 2015 Albrecht Pinot Blanc I had bought at Total Wine on Wednesday and poured us glasses.

We really liked the Pinot Blanc. It was not as fruity as Pinot Gris, but seemed to have more character.  Now I want to try a Trimbach Pinot Blanc to see how the two compare.

After we finished dinner we finished the bottle of Pinot Blanc while watching the news.

A little later Luke and Willy returned from the gym and Luke ate Thanksgiving dinner leftovers and Willy ate lamb stew.  We sat in the dining room and talked and then nibbled pieces of pumpkin and pecan pie.  I poured out the Lemelson 2012 Pinot Noir, which was still very clean tasting after sitting for a day.

After dinner and dessert we watched the recent J. K. Rowling movie, “Fantastic Beasts and where to find them” set in New York in the 20s.

I made a pot of chamomile and red lotus root tea and poured cups for all during the movie.  I had eaten the remaining rather large piece of chocolate fudge pecan pie and was feeling uncomfortably stuffed, so I had a second cup of tea.

At 11:30 when the movie ended we said goodnight and went to bed.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment