Friday, November 24, 2017

November 23, 2017 Brunch – Green Chile Casserole. Thanksgiving Dinner

November 23, 2017 Brunch – Green Chile Casserole.  Thanksgiving Dinner

We started cooking early this morning.  Suzette prepped the oyster dressing and then a green Chile casserole to the point of needing Monterrey Jack cheese and eggs I, so I volunteered to go to El Super to buy some.  I wanted to go anyway because today was a second day of the weekly discounts on produce.

When I arrived at 8:30 there were lots of families shopping and the atmosphere became even more joyous as more people arrived during the 45 minutes I was shopping, perhaps because the prices and quality of the produce was so good.

I started by buying sweet limes and Persian limes for $.50/lb., then I saw a large gondola covered with iced vegetables including broccoli crowns, and cauliflower for $.50/lb. and bought large bags of each and a huge head of celery for $.50 and a bunch of radishes for $.20.

I then saw a gondola filled with the freshest most beautiful green beans I have seen this year and picked a bag of haricot vert for $.99/lb.  The prices were so good I could not stop.  I bought 4 huge chayote and 8 small avocados for four for $.99.  Then I bought Fuji apples for $.69/lb. and red onions for $.50/lb.

I finally decided it was time to get the Cheese and eggs.  I went to the deli counter an$ bought a 1 ½ lb. block of Monterrey jack cheese for $2.89/lb. and then picked up two dozen medium eggs for $.99 each.

Everything cost $27.00.

When I returned Suzette finished making the casserole by laying alternating layers of green Chile and Monterrey jack in a Pyrex baking dish then filling the dish with a milk and egg mixture and finally sprinkling the top with a heavy layer of grated cheddar cheese and baking the dish until the casserole became firm, which took 40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Before I left for shopping we put the pumpkin Luke had bought last night on a baking sheet and roasted it in the oven, so when I returned it was baked.  While the casserole was baking I cut the baked pumpkin in half and de-seeded and skinned it.  Suzette then blended the pumpkin pulp in the warming blender with some half and half to purée it.



                                                 The Pumpkin Purée


                                                 The baked Green Chile Casserole

I went to the garage and fetched Modelo beers and poured two of them when the casserole was cooked and we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast.  We particularly liked the casserole because the green chili’s were not picante.  They were from Limitar, which is our favorite for their mildness.

After breakfast Luke joined us and at 11:00 Willy joined us.  After eating Luke made the pumpkin pie with Suzette while I took a nap.

Then at 12:30 Suzette awakened me and I dressed and went back to the kitchen.  I prepped the sweet potatoes and pineapple dish by caramelizing the nine slices of fresh pineapple in butter and brown sugar.  I then sautéed the sweet potato slices Suzette had roasted, peeled and sliced yesterday in the skillet with a bit more butter and brown sugar to give them a caramelized crust.  Suzette and I then lay the pineapple slices on the bottom of a Pyrex baking dish and lay the sweet potato slices on top and baked them in the oven with the dressing.

Vahl and Amy and D’Ayn arrived at about 1:30 with the turkey, dressing, gravy, cranberry compote, a bottle of King’ Estate 2015 Pinot Gris and  a Ferrari Carano Fume Blanc (Sauvignon Blanc).  We poured the King Estates Pinot Gris, which was not completely chilled and after we finished that I
poured a chilled Elk Cove 2016 Pinot Gris.  The King’s Estate garnered a 91 rating and the Elk Cove
garnered a 92 rating by Wine Enthusiast.  Everyone agreed the the Elk Cove tasted better, more complex and fruitier.


We roasted the turkey for an hour, while we prepped the green beans, Suzette made a Brussels sprout, piñon nut, and Parmesan cheese casserole.   When the turkey
was ready we laid it on the carving board Va had brought and carved it and were ready to eat.




Vahl wanted a glass of Pinot Noir, so I grabbed the bottle of 2012 Lemelson Pinot he had given us several years ago from the cooler and opened it.  He was thrilled and said it was his favorite.

It was a warm sunny afternoon with no wind, so Suzette decided that we should eat outside so she
and Amy set the table under the gazebo for seven and set all the food on the kitchen counter and everyone filled their plates and carried them to the gazebo.

I opened the bottle of chablis and we took it and the Fume Blanc out to the gazebo and filled glasses with them.  Of all the wines, my favorite was the Elk Cove Pinot Gris.

Johnny Gillespie came over to say hello just before we served dinner so we talked her into joining us for dinner.  I had had a dream of someone coming but could not see who, so I felt like my dream was
validated.

Here is a picture of us eating in the gazebo.




After folks finished dinner I opened the bottle of Campelou sparkling Vouvray Pierre gave us and served it as a pleasant end to the meal.

The sparkling Vouvray

It was around 4:30. Johnnie left for her third dinner invitation and we decided to take a walk in the Bosque.  We drove to Tingley Beach and Willy led us to the new pavilion beside the duck pond in the woods and after I went back to the parking lot to wait they walked further along the new paths in the Bosque, returning at 5:30 just as the attendant was getting ready to lock the gates.

We went back home and Luke and Suzette whipped cream and Suzette served a bowl of Quince and raisin compote, one of the pecan pies, and Luke’s pumpkin pie.

D’Ayn said she would drink some more wine so I opened a small bottle of Londer Late Harvest Gerwurtraminer wine.  The wine had a light crisp flavor.  Someone read the label that said the grapes had been frozen and the water crystals removed, which explained its clean light fruity flavor.


All the desserts were superb.  I loved the Stagecoach Inn chocolate pecan pie, but Luke’s pumpkin pie was the most interesting pie, because it was made from scratch.

Finally at 6:30 Amy, Vahl, and D’Ayn wrapped everything up and carried out to the car and we hugged and said goodnight.

Soon after the Santa Fe part of the family departed we watched the Disney animated movie, M’oana.  Then Luke’s friend Montana came by to wish us a Happy Thanksgiving.  I was exhausted so after saying hello I went to bed.

Today seemed more like French dining than most days; a late breakfast and a leisurely late lunch with lots of wine and then a break and a dessert course instead of a light dinner.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment