Wednesday, October 25, 2017

October 24, 2017. Lunch – East Ocean Dinner – PPI Pork Spare Ribs, Steamed Asparagus, and Braised Cabbage with Apple

October 24, 2017. Lunch – East Ocean  Dinner – PPI Pork Spare Ribs, Steamed Asparagus, and Braised Cabbage with Apple

I woke up at 7:00 and decided to have a hot chocolate coffee in bed and watch the Squawk on the Street show since it was going to be a good day on the market from bed.

I then showered and worked until 11:15 when I drove to East Ocean for lunch.  I called Mike when I got there and he joined me for lunch.  I asked him what he wanted and ordered Kung Pao Chicken with steamed rice for him.  I ordered my new usual, Moo Goo Gai Pan with sweet and Sour chicken and no rice.  My dish was missing the water chestnuts today so after a few minutes I sent it back to the chef to add the water chestnuts.  The chef graciously reheated what was left with water chestnuts.

                                           Moo Goo Gai Pan with sweet and sour chicken

Mike told me he was going back to Milwaukee until after Christmas on Tuesday and that La Salita was going to open up in its new location on Juan Tabo on Monday, so we agreed tentatively to meet for lunch at their Grand Opening on Monday.

I also invited him to join us for ribs and the first game of the World Series this evening.

I went home after lunch and worked from 1:00 until 4:00 and then watched Mad Money until Suzette arrived at 4:30, at which time we rode to Montano and back at a good pace, making it back in about an hour.

At 6:30 we began cooking. I snapped the ends off 18 stalks of asparagus and Suzette put them into a steamer with water.

Suzette began re-heating the PPI rack of BBQ ribs in the steamer oven while I shredded 1/2 Head of green cabbage and then cored and diced two apples.  I put the cabbage into the large skillet that was heating with the butter and olive oil Suzette had placed in it. We shared turns stirring and turning the cabbage.  Suzette seasoned it with salt and pepper and apple cider vinegar and I added the diced apples and ground cumin, so it took on a ambiguously German/Hungarian flavor.

                                                     The racks of BBQ'd Ribs

Finally, Suzette steamed the asparagus for about 8 minutes, so that when Mike arrived punctually at 7:30 everything was ready. I sliced the warmed ribs into individual bone-in slices and we each served ourselves cabbage and six asparagus each.  Suzette and I drank a New Belgium Fat Tire beer and Mike drank water with the meal.

We watched L.A. Beat the Astros in record time and then discussed dessert.

We decided to give Mike the last piece of Tart Tatin and Suzette and I would eat a bowl of Poached Quince with yogurt.  Suzette warmed the desserts and Mike chose whipped cream to garnish his Tart.  I poured sniffers of Calvados for Mike and me and cognac for Suzette and we enjoyed our dessert.

Mike said goodnight a bit after 9:00 and we went to bed shortly thereafter.

I felt like the day was filled with a balanced schedule of sleep, exercise, and food.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment