Thursday, October 12, 2017

October 11, 2017 Lunch – Ichiban. Dinner – sautéed Teriyacki Salmon and Miso Soup


October 11, 2017  Lunch – Ichiban.  Dinner – sautéed Teriyacki Salmon and Miso Soup

Today was an all Japanese day.  I met Robert for Chirashi  at Ichiban.  I failed to give explicit instructions, so I got any interesting Chirashi.  The pieces were thicker and instead of octopus we received red snapper.



Alas, I lamented my fate until I bit into the extra thick slices of fresh succulent fish and quickly changed my mind.  I could only eat ½ so boxed and took the rest home.

As I have said before, my favorite thing about Ichiban is the slightly thick green tea they serve.  Another great sushi experience.

After lunch I went to Sprouts and bought a 1 ½ lb. piece of Atlantic farm raised salmon for $6.99/lb.  This type of salmon is my favorite, in this market and far better than the previously frozen piece of salmon I had bought at El Super on Tuesday.

Dinner – I decided to marinate the El Super previously frozen salmon in teriyaki sauce to see if that relieved it of any ill effects of being frozen.  I marinated it from Tuesday afternoon until Wednesday evening, so it was really saturated with teriyaki sauce.  I decided to simply pan sauté the salmon filet in ½ T. of butter, three or four dashes of sesame oil, and about 1 T. of peanut oil.  The salmon turned out great I got it to just that point were red seated meets pink succulent and it continued to cook to almost pink throughout as it sat in the warm pan as I finished making the miso soup.

I started making the miso soup in the afternoon by heating a pot of water with 2 tsp. of  dehydrated Dashi concentrate.  I tore up about two T. of seaweed and put that into the dashi to simmer, but turned it off around 4:00  when I decided to ride 5 miles south.  I meditated at 6:00. When I returned from meditation 6:50 Willy brought me the charging cable for this I Pad, so I can now blog again,  and told me he had a soccer game at 8:00, so could not stay for dinner.

After he left I finished the miso soup by adding a finely minced stalk of celery, 2 T. of red miso, a few sprigs of parsley, and two green onions chopped finely and sautéed the salmon with a couple of slices of ginger and a couple of cloves of garlic as described above and surrounded the salmon in the skillet with rice and dhal to cook in the skillet with the salmon.  All of which became pleasantly crisp on the edges as it merged with the ginger and garlic.

I ate the salmon and rice and dhal first and then ate a bowl of miso soup.

It was a great day of food.

I put the newly purchased salmon filet into the teriyaki marinade and put it into the fridge.

I now have my menu prepared for Thursday night with Mike and Willy,

Sautéed teriyaki salmon, rice and dhal, miso soup, and steamed or stir fried string beans.  Everything is prepared except the string beans and I may add add some sliced mushrooms to the miso soup.

I will probably serve warm sake.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment