Friday, October 13, 2017

October 12, 2017 Lunch – PPI Chirashi   Dinner – Sautéed Teriyaki Salmon with stir fried string beans and fried rice and moong dhal and Miso soup

I ate ½ of a fresh garlic bagel with cream cheese, a slice of onion, and a few capers with a cup of green tea and burped until lunch but pleasant burps.

I spent most of my work day reading the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1963 decision in Arizona v. California.  It appears the water case is entering the realm of federal law.

At noon I ate the PPI remaining ½ of my Chirashi lunch from yesterday, again with green tea.  I ate all the rice because I planned to ride, which I did at 4:00 to Montano and back without any ill effect thanks to the sugar boost from the white sushi rice that I drizzled with a few drops of  Aji Mirin to loosen up the dried lumps.



It was a beautiful warm day so I ate outside in the garden.

There was not much wind, so I enjoyed my ride north to Montano at 4:00.

Then to make sure I did not weaken, when I returned I toasted a slice of nine grain bread and smeared it with peanut butter and honey.  Then I ate a few pistachios I bought yesterday at a Sprouts market for $4.99/lb..

I also bought a 1 ½ lb. filet of Atlantic Farm raised salmon for $$6.99/lb. at Sprouts yesterday and marinated in the teriyaki marinade over night.

I had invited Mike and Wily for dinner. Mike arrived at 6:30 with a wedge of French Brie and a wedge of Cambozola with sesame rice crackers and a darker seaweed and soy infused rice cracker.



Cambozola
I poured us glasses of a chilled bottle of a new find at Total Wine; a 2016 Rose D’Anjou by Famille Bougrier that was 50% Gamay and 50% Grolleau grapes; from the Loire Valley of France grown in an appellation d’origene protégé.  The  wine had a luscious fruity front and middle and a plummy finish. If was delicious with the soft cheeses.

 Willy arrived a little after 7:00 and after we sipped wine, nibbled cheese and crackers, and chatted for a few minutes, I started cooking at 7:20.

 I had already sliced two mushrooms and broke up some pieces of seaweed and added them and another T. of red miso and some water and another 4 oz. of finely diced firm tofu to the pot of PPI Miso soup I made yesterday and was simmering on the stove to integrate all those ingredients, so the soup was ready to heat and eat, save for the addition of sliced green onion to finish the soup.

I had also snapped the stalky ends off the 1/3 lb. of haricot vertes I had bought at Sprouts the other day.  I also sliced ½ T. of fresh ginger and about seven or eight small cloves of garlic after 6:00 and before Mike arrived.

Sautéed Salmon and Stir-fried Green beans with dhal

Simultaneously, I heated peanut oil and a few dashes of sesame oil in a large skillet and my wok over medium heat and then divided the garlic and ginger equally between both and stirred them for a minute to cook.  Then I added the green beans to the wok and stir fried them for a minute to cook and coat with flavored oil.

I then removed the salmon filet from the freezer bag in which it had been marinating and lay it belly side down in the large heated skillet.

I then ladled about two cups of the PPI rice and dhal mixture into the wok and broke up the lumps and mixed the rice/dhal with the green beans.  I let both dishes cook for several minutes and when it appeared that the salmon filet was cooked half way through I flipped it so the skin side was down.

I continued to flip and mix the rice and green bean mixture occasionally.  The rice had cooked with too much water and was gummy and stuck together, so it had to be cooked and broken apart in order for the moisture to be released.

 After it appeared that the salmon was fully cooked, I sectioned the salmon and served it with spoonfuls of the fried rice, dhal, and green bean mixture on three plates and served cups of hot green tea at the TV room table and we ate as we watched Philadelphia v. Charlotte on Thursday night football.

After we finished our plates of fish and rice/dhal/green beans, I heated the soup and served it in bowls.  As we started eating the soup I remembered I had forgotten the green onions.  I yelled, “Stop eating” and ran the few steps to the cutting board where the three small green onions were and finely sliced them and brought them on the cutting board and divided them equally into the three bowls.

I think it was a good meal.  The salmon was very plain without any salt, so one could taste the flavor of the teriyaki salmon cleanly.

The same was true of the rice mixture, although in retrospect, I wish I had seasoned the rice with some Chinese cooking wine to differentiate its flavor profile a bit.

When we had all finished our soup, I served Mike a fudgesicle.

When the game ended a little before 10:00 I put Willy’s
PPI fish and the rest of the rice duping into a container for him to take home and we said goodnight.

I immediately went to bed and slept six hours straight through which is a tribute to the lightness of the dinner.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment