Thursday, October 12, 2017

October 10, 2017. Lunch – Salad. Dinner – Stir fried Rice with egg, bok choy, onion, and Mapo Dofu

Today was actually busy.  I ate a bowl of granola, yogurt, milk, blueberries and ½ of a peach from the orchard at the Center for Ageless Living.

At 12:30 I made a salad.  I chopped the last remaining slice of roast pork Suzette roasted a week ago, ½ of a tomato 1/3 of a cucumber peeled and diced, two green onions,  and shredded Longhorn Monterey Jack cheese.  I dressed the salad with Cesar salad dressing and toasted a piece of wholewheat bread and melted two pieces of Swiss gruyere cheese on the toast.

I drove to the bank for notarizations and returned home by way of El Super, where I bought limes, red onions, a pound of  fresh salmon, which means fresh frozen at El Super..

To make the salmon more palatable I made a teriyaki sauce and marinated the salmon in a freezer bag
  Willy called and said he was watching USA play Trinidad/Tobago in World Cup competition with friends, so we decided to defer our salmon dinner until tomorrow evening.

I decided to use up the last 6 to 8 oz. of Mado Tofu, so I made one of my favorite dishes; a sort of Egg Foo Young made by stir frying a meat, some vegetables and rice with egg into a soft cake like loaf.

Egg Foo Young

I minced ½ T. of ginger, four small cloves of garlic and added about a cup of the white portion of bok choy and 1/3 cup of sweet onion.

I heated about 2 T. of peanut oil in a wok.  Then I added the above ingredients to the wok and stir fried them for about five minutes until the softened.  I the added about 1 cup of PPI cooked rice and dhal with the green portion of the bok choy and stir fried that for a minute or two to loosen the rice.

Then I added the PPI Mapo Dofu and its sauce, which moistened the mixture and a small mound of PPI cooked spinach that was stored in the rice container.

  I then added three or four dashes of sesame oil and about 1 ½ T. of Chinese rice wine to further loosen the rice and help mix the ingredients.

When the mixture seemed to become well mixed and there were no large lumps of rice left, I added two eggs and stirred them into the mixture as thoroughly as I could with a spoon.

I then cooked and turned the mixture with a wok spatula that allowed me to turn a 1/3 to a ¼ of the entire mixture at a time and which I used to spread and flatten the mixture into a cake that filled the bottom of the wok.  After about fifteen minutes during which I flipped and flattened the mixture several times it began to brown on the bottom.

My wok was given to me by my mother fifty years ago and after that period of time the metal has been seasoned, so that I can loosen parts of the mixture that get stuck to the wok with a light prodding with the wok spatula that is configured to the curve of the wok.  The stuck potions of the mixture are simply integrated into the mixture and become crisp elements within the final agglomeration that ideally will have soft and firm textural sections.  When the entire mixture became firm after about fifteen minutes of cooking and turning at medium heat I was ready to eat.  I made a cup of green tea and at the mixture in three sections as I talked to my buddy Dee about meeting him on Saturday, November 4, in Fort Worth at the TCU v. Texas football game and then watching Trinidad Tobago eliminate the USA from this World Cup .

I then did a little work and went to bed.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment