Monday, March 15, 2021

 March 15, 2021 Lunch - Padilla Family Mexican Restaurant Chile Relleno Plate  Dinner - Halibut Fish And Chips with Steamed Asparagus 


Today was the opposite of the Ides of March for me.


I finished and mailed the legal opinion IV drafted on Friday and read or deleted the 150 emails accumulated over the weekend by lunch.


I was feeling great as the Market seemed to come back into form with both Apple and Square rising handsomely and most of my other stocks going green.


I had eaten fruit salad and yogurt with a small handful of granola for breakfast at around 10:00, so by 1:15 I was becoming hungry again.  I decided to celebrate and order a chile Relleno Plate from Padilla’s.


I drove to fetch it and returned just after the market closed as I felt redemption from the abyss I faced two weeks ago.  To quantify the situation, my portfolio had dropped 10% in the two week period prior to two weeks ago.  Since then my portfolio has regained 72% of the loss and is just 28% below its all time high; a remarkable recovery.


The idea for buying Square was to have a stock with a real business but also with an exposure to Bitcoin and that seems to be the case, at least for the last few days.


The Chile Relleno was delicious stuffed with a white cheese, battered and deep fried topped with cheese and green chili sauce with two portions of beans. I sliced and diced a slice of onion that I sprinkled on the top of the rellenos and heated the box for another minute.  I ate half so I could rate it for lunch tomorrow if I chose and so I could eat the two Sopapillas that come with the lunch without getting stuffed.  I heated the container with the chili rellenos and beans and enjoyed them.  Then I heated the sopapillas and drizzled honey into them and had a great dessert.




I drank a few sips of beer with lunch, but the clean simple food did not make me very thirsty, so I put the more than 1/2 filled bottle into the fridge, perhaps for tomorrow’s lunch.


After lunch I checked my portfolio and as I stated above, discovered that the portfolio did well today rising 1.77%.


I started to transcribe the Book Club notes, but became tired and lay down at 4:00 and slept until Suzette arrived at nearly 6:00.


Everything in our schedule has been thrown off by the shift to day light savings time.


I had thawed a frozen halibut steak, but was not sure how to prepare it.  We don’t usually grill previously frozen fish. Again Suzette came to the rescue with a creative menu idea, “Let’s make fish and chips.”


Her idea was to flour and sauté the filleted halibut cut into chunks and fry thinly sliced potato slices, which she calls cottage fries.


She asked me to slice two Yukon Gold potatoes as thinly as I could. I had a sharpened knife and was able to slice most of the slices paper thin.


I also filleted the halibut steak, removing both the central bones and the skin to create two almost equally sized fillets.  Suzette dusted the fillets with flour, salt, and pepper and sautéed them in olive oil. 


So we had a fried meal except for the six or seven asparagus that we steamed.  Suzette made a bowl of tartare sauce by mixing pickle relish, lemon juice, horseradish, and mayo and I fetched a bottle of French apple cider from Brittany (Trader Joe’s for $4.99).







We enjoyed our simple but delicious dinner as we watched the antiques Roadshow.  


After dinner Suzette fetched a pint of peanut chocolate chip ice cream from the garage and we ate a scoop of it from a lovely dessert.


After the two episodes of the Roadshow we went to bed, Suzette to sleep and I to finish Restless and blog this blog.


Bon Appetit 


No comments:

Post a Comment