Friday, March 27, 2020

March 27, 2020 Lunch – PPI Tabouli Salad with Pita. Dinner – PPI Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas with Refried Beans

March 27, 2020 Lunch – PPI Tabouli Salad with Pita.  Dinner – PPI Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas with Refried Beans

Today started with a bowl of Tropical fruit salad, yogurt, and granola.

At 11:30 I made a very quick tabouli salad with some Romaine lettuce and added the chopped mozzarella, basil threads, and tomatoes and balsamic dressing left from last night’s Caprese salad as a garnish plus a T. of olive oil.  I heated a pita bread and stuffed it with tabouli and ate a quick lunch.




Suzette worked at home today and resolved many financing issues regarding the Center. I worked on my brief.

At 5:00 we attempted to walk but were turned back by strong gusting winds.

Suzette said we had to eat enchiladas for dinner.  That sounded like a prison sentence but it turned out to be very pleasant.

I playfully said, “I will if we heat some black beans.

Suzette looked in the pantry and said, “What about Refried beans?

I said fine and dinner was set.  I sliced an avocado and some onion for garnish and Suzette chopped some onion and bell pepper and sautéed those ingredients in a large skillet and then added  the can of beans and enough water to emulsify the stiff can of beans.  Soon the beans began to smooth and then stiffen just a little bit.  I fetched the sour cream and put some chopped onion and sliced avocado on the table and we opened two bottles of Negra Modelo and ate a lovely dinner.




After dinner we watched the movie “Valentine’s Day” with its all star cast and enjoyed it because everyone finds love in the end.

Suzette has worked hard all day while I took a long nap, in the afternoon, so she went to bed after the movie at 10:30.

I had decided to make chocolate chip cookies.  The only ingredient I did not know where to find was
pecans, but as I fetched the sugars, flour and other ingredients, I had the thought to look in the kitchen cabinet that is where the coffee machine used to be located and there was a bag of pecans there.
I creamed ½ lb. of butter I had softened in the microwave in the Kitchen Aid.  Then I added bout 1 cup of light brown sugar and ½ cup of white granulated sugar and creamed those ingredients.  I then added three eggs and creamed all those ingredients.  I mixed two cups of flour with 1 tsp. of baking soda in a mixing bowl and added that to the Kitchen Aid bowl.  Finally I added1/2 cup of raisins, ¾ cup of chocolate chips, and ½ cup of pecans and mixed everything together.

I buttered two cookie sheets and dropped 36 mounds of cookie dough on the trays and baked the cookies for 11 or 12 minutes until they were golden brown on top.  Here is a picture of 35 of them.


Sometimes I get an urge to cook something and I go into a robotic focus on the functions needed to prepare the dish.  Tonight it was chocolate chip cookies.  Last week it was the fried rice with sliced mushrooms and diced asparagus.

So now we have some cookies to tide us over until our food order arrives on Wednesday, April 1, when the food is scheduled for delivery.

Yesterday I explored the food ordering business and found that there is a food delivery service called Instacart.  Today I asked Willy to send us his grocery list and this afternoon we went on the site and placed an order with Sprouts and El Super.  The service costs $3.99 plus a tip for the delivery driver.  Our order totaled $90.00 of which $82.00 was the cost of the groceries.  Each Store has a minimum order of about $35.00, but with three people ordering we met that threshold rather easily.  Unfortunately not all items were available but there were substitutes.  For, example I had to order a different slightly more expensive yogurt than the Sprouts brand I usually buy and some items are more expensive, such as the Sprouts brand of olive oil for $9.99 rather than the regular price of $7.99.  I bought six bottles on sale for $5.99 two weeks ago but this week I do not want to go to the store for fear of catching the virus.  On the plus side the stores include all the weekly special discounts they are featuring on items.  Instacart shops about ten different stores including all the ones I shop at, so if it works I will be thrilled and thankful that we shall not starve during the duration of the virus isolation.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment