Monday, March 16, 2020

March 16, 2020 Lunch – Chicken Salad with a Tabouli filled Pita Sandwich. Dinner – Chicken Salad on Romaine lettuce leaves with an Ear of Corn

March 16, 2020 Lunch – Chicken Salad with a Tabouli filled Pita Sandwich. Dinner – Chicken Salad on Romaine lettuce leaves with an Ear of Corn

I got hungry at 10:00 and cut the thicker half of a bagel into two slices and toasted them, spread them with cream cheese, and garnished them with thin slices of onion and Gravad Lax and capers

I finished the probate today, so at 11:30 I took my fee check to the bank.  Then I drove to Pastian’s and bought four dozen dinner rolls so we would have lots of bread in the house.  The loaves of bread had been bought.  At $.50 per dozen one should not be choosy.

I then drove to Lowe’s and bought tonic water, mayonnaise, ice cream, pita bread, milk, and cream cheese.

When I arrived home at 1:15 I noticed that the market was sliding toward the historic 3,000 point drop and Google was under $1100, so I bought 40 shares at around at $1085.  I am holding on to some cash in case the market keeps going down. For example Apple went down $32.00 today to take it $14.00 below the price I bought it at on Friday.

If we go into a world wide recession due to all businesses shutting down, we are a long way from the bottom of the market. I will resist jumping into the market further.

I then made a salad with baby spinach leaves, a tomato diced, 1/4 of a cucumber peeled and sliced, about a dozen kalamata olives, the last 1/2 cup of tabouli and two slices of onion sliced thinly.

I heated a whole wheat pita on the stove until it was warm and tore it in half and stuffed it with the tabouli, tomato, and onion from the salad and ate the sandwich with the salad.




I rested in the afternoon and walked ½ mile at 5:30. Suzette came home at 6:30 and we started to cook dinner. We decided to process the PPI roasted chicken into two dishes. I deboned the chicken and tossed the bones into a stock pot with 1 onion, two carrots, and two stalks of celery chopped.  Suzette added water and simmered the ingredients into a broth.  I diced the dark meat and Suzette put that into the chicken broth to start a chicken noodle soup. I diced the white meat and put it into a bowl and diced and added 1 ½ apple diced, three green onions sliced thinly, three stalks of celery diced, four hard boiled eggs diced ,that Suzette had firmly boiled. I went to the garden and picked a small handful of tarragon sprigs and chopped them and added the tarragon to the dressing Suzette had made by mixing mayonnaise, Grey Poupon Dijon mustard, and a bit of olive oil.

I opened a bottle of of Gruner Veltliner that Trader Joe’s sells for $6 or $7.  It is a good wine, if not a great wine, and we like its light acidity and fruitiness.  A nice change of pace from the heavier French wines we often drink.

Suzette husked and boiled the five ears of corn I bought at Sprouts last week and I  rinsed and dried leaves of mini Romaine lettuce which Suzette lay on each plate as a base for the chicken salad.  When the corn was ready Suzette placed scoops of chicken salad on the lettuce leaves and an ear of corn on each plate and I poured glasses of Gruner Veltliner and we had a pleasant dinner.


After dinner we drained the chicken broth and added the diced dark meat into the stock pot and then transferred those ingredients into a steel bowl that I covered with Saran for storage in the garage.

As a result of our cooking effort this evening we have a goodly quantity of chicken salad and the base for chicken noodle soup or chicken and corn chowder.

Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment