Friday, March 20, 2020

March 20, 2020 Brunch – Gravad Lax on Bagel with cream cheese and onion slices Late Lunch – Tabouli Pita Sandwich Dinner – Slow Cooked Pork Shoulder in Black bean sauce with Rice

March 20, 2020 Brunch  – Gravad Lax on Bagel with cream cheese and onion slices  Late Lunch – Tabouli Pita Sandwich   Dinner – Slow Cooked Pork Shoulder in Black bean sauce with Rice

This morning we prepped the pork shoulder Suzette had bought for dinner.  While Suzette braised the salted and peppered 3 lb. bone in Pork shoulder in olive oil in a large cast iron skillet, I diced an onion, ½ of a pasilla Chile, about ¼ cup of fresh baby oregano,  ½ of an orange bell pepper, and a small head of garlic.  Suzette soaked three dried guajilla chiles in hot water and I stripped the flesh out of them and into the crock pot to which she added 7 oz. tomato sauce, a can of diced tomatoes, several leaves of thawed and chopped Hoja Santa, and a 24 oz. can of black beans.

I worked until 10:00 when I ate a bowl of granola, blueberries, milk, and yogurt.

I was still hungry so at 11:00 I ate two thinly sliced bagels smeared with cream cheese and garnished with thin slices of onion and Lax and capers.

Loyda and I turned the pork over at 1:00 p.m.

I went to the Court of Appeals at 2:00 and returned at 3:15.  I was hungry when I returned home, so I heated a pita on the stove and filled it with the tabouli I made yesterday evening.  I was delicious.



I was on a conference call from 3:30 until 5:00.  Suzette came home and saved the pork dish that was cooking in the oven from burning by adding water to it.

I meditated for twenty minutes and then made two cups of rice and we went for a ¾ mile walk.

When we returned we started cooking dinner.  When I went to the garage to fetch cilantro I discovered the door that connected the shed to the garage was open.  When I investigated I discovered that a burglar had forced a Shed window open and taken my bike again.  The burglar also had forced the lock on the door between the garage and shed but it appeared that they did not take anything from the garage. Suzette boarded up the broken window and we took pictures of the damage and returned to the house to finish dinner.  I chopped cilantro, green onion, and the last of fresh arugula Suzette picked yesterday.

Let me tell you about miracle of the arugula. The lower slope of our compost pile at the outer edge there is a profusion of arugula growing. It is not bitter and we have been using it as the foundation for dinner entrees, such as tonight or mixed with baby spinach in salads as we did last night with the chicken salad salad or as a green vegetable or in soups.  It has been our all purpose garden vegetable for the last two weeks.  Here is a picture.

Suzette organized a lovely plate of food; a pile of rice, then a layer of the pulled pork in black bean sauce and finally chopped fresh cilantro, green onion, and arugula.  I drank a root beer and Suzette drank a Negra Modelo with dinner.

We have lots of pork and rice left as PPIs.

After dinner I ate a bowl of chocolate ice cream with rum and chocolate syrup and whipped cream.

Then I drank a small glass of the raspberry brandy I made several years ago with a cup of tea and a chocolate covered cherry.

We went to bed around 9:30.  I blogged for a few minutes and then drifted off to sleep.

We awakened at 12:30 and drank a cup of camomile tea with honey and lime juice and finished this blog.

Bon Appetit



 

No comments:

Post a Comment