Saturday, July 27, 2019

July 26, 2019 Lunch – Thais Restaurant. Dinner – Sautéed Teriyaki Salmon Salad

Yesterday was wired I went to Buffet King for lunch and ate three plates of food that was delicious but got loose bowels on the way home, which I think I got from the Chinese vegetables at East Ocean on Thursday.

The result was I did not eat any dinner, so a bad day of food.  Although the ribs, Mado Dofu, and Thai chicken and still stellar at Buffet King and did not cause the problem. In fact the food got me through dinner without hunger.

That brings us to Saturday and another experiment in digestion.

I stuck to the old faithful for breakfast whitefish on bagel with cream cheese and a thin slice of onion.

I watched Stage 20 of the Tour, which turned out to be amazing.  I woke up at 8:30 expecting to see half the stage and the stage was over.  They had reduced the stage from 90+ miles to 37 miles.  I was happy that they reviewed the stage.  So I was able see how Nebali the 2014 Tour winner won the stage and how Bernal and GeraintbThomas came across the line holding hands 15 seconds later to place 1st and 2nd in the Tour. Poor Allaphillipe lost 3 minutes and 45 seconds on the last climb to the finish and fell from 2nd to 5th.  He gave it everything he had but ran out of gas after 14 days in yellow yesterday and today.  I am sure he will be a hero in France because he held yellow for two weeks and won two stages. And the French love to see their heroes suffer terribly giving maximum effort even though they do not win.

After the bike race coverage ended at 9:30. Went to the garden and ate breakfast.  There were three lilies in the pond and the garden looked lovely.


Three lilies in bloom today

                                                The view from my chair under the gazebo

Mike called while we were in the garden and we went out front to supervise his adjusting the sprinkler heads in zone 1.

After he left Suzette left to go to the hardware store and I walked to the Farmers’ Market to walk a mile in the most appealing way possible.  I only bought ab almond and regular croissant at the Le Quiche Bakery booth and walked home.

I then showered and rested and made teriyaki sauce with ¼ cup each of sake, Mirin, and soy sauce and ½ T. of sugar and marinated the two salmon filets and two seared tuna pieces from last week’s meal at the Palmers.  A bit after 12:00 Suzette returned.  Suzette was in the mood for Moo Shu Pork,
so decided to go out to eat lunch and then see the documentary on the long love affair between Leonard Cohen and Marianne at 2:15 at Highridge theater.

We checked google for the best Moo Shu Pork and found out that Tsai’s Restaurant at Cutler and San Pedro was highly rated, so we drove there and ordered one order of Moo Shu Pork with six mandarin pancakes instead of the usual four for $1.00 extra.   We requested extra hoisin sauce and sliced green onion and were served them without charge.  We thought the Moo Shu Pork was good, but not great.  That award still belongs to Suzette who made a great one several years ago with real mandarin pancakes.

 



After lunch we went to see the “Leonard and Marianne: Words of Love”. It contained amazing footage and was extremely moving.  I suspect there was not a dry eye in the theater, at least not Suzette’s or mine, for sure. I highly recommend it. Cohen for me ai equal to Dylan as a poet and song writer.  I rank Cohen  socially a bit higher than Dylan because he was a Buddhist and had been born into a wealthy, supportive family.

We went home after the movie. I rested and read until 7:30 while Suzette made a fresh bowl of Japanese pickled carrots, radishes from the garden, and cucumbers to go with the teriyaki salmon.  I diced the piece of daikon I bought at Sprouts last Tuesday and added it to the pickled vegetables.  She then cleaned the lettuce from the Center and made a salad.  She diced a tomato, sautéed the two salmon filets and garnished the salad with the vegetables plus some pickled beets and dressed the salad with the pickling medium she made by mixing rice vinegar, Aji Mirin, and sesame oil.  When I added the Daikon I added some sake.



We drank the rest of the PPI bottles of Gruner Vitliner and Chateau Petit whites.

After dinner we watched TV and I ate a dessert of the last Boston Cream filled donut with chocolate ice cream.

We even saw a bit of National Treasure Book and Saturday Night Live.

I blogged a bit after Suzette went to bed.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment