Thursday, July 11, 2019

July 11, 2019 Lunch – Vietnam 2000. Dinner – New Recipe Stuffed Baked Sweet Potato

July 11, 2019 Lunch – Vietnam 2000. Dinner – New Recipe Stuffed Baked Sweet Potato

Another exciting food day, after visiting the construction at the candy store the food day started casually enough with an old favorite, toasted bagel smeared with cream cheese and layered with thin onion slices and Lax and garnished with capers.  I made a fresh cup of tea that turned out to be strong that jump started my day.

I worked and watched Stage 6 of the Tour de France, which turned out to be one of the most exciting days in many years because two rookie bicyclists went ahead of the peloton and held off the charge by the peloton to finish 1 and 2 on the stage.  The second finisher beat the yellow jersey’s aggregate time by 6 seconds to take the yellow jersey off him.  This almost never happens in the Tour de France, especially by a new rider.  The stage was further unusual because of the historic finish was on a dirt road to a mountain top finish with a 24 degree gradient at the summit.  Unreal.  Like climbing a mountain on a bike.

I picked Peter up at 11:30 and drove us to Vietnam 2000 for lunch.  We both ordered No. 21, which is my favorite summertime dish, a bowl layered with chopped lettuce, mung beans, and chopped herbs on the bottom with a layer of warm rice vermicelli noodles in the middle layer and finally fried pork egg rolls and marinated grilled pork on top served with a sweetened fish sauce that is poured over the dish to emulsify the noodles.  I also ordered us glasses of iced Vietnamese coffee that contained chicory and a thick layer of condensed milk.  Peter loved the iced coffee, a cold refreshing sweet stimulant; everything you would love to sip on a hot summer day.  I think he is as hooked on Vietnamese food, as I am.

After lunch I worked for a bit and then drove to 8th and walked the final 4 ½ blocks to my 3:00 appointment.

When the appointment ended at 5:30,  I walked back to the car and drove to the Friends meeting house for meditation at 6:00.

At 7:01 I returned home and happily found Suzette sautéing chopped  PPI roasted chicken with garlic, onion, Poblano Chile, and asparagus, sliced portobello mushrooms, and some of the PPI Cauliflower and broccoli Couscous she made last night.  There was a cookie sheet full of baked potatoes sitting beside her on the stove.  Suzette said, “I made an executive decision.  We are having stuffed potatoes.  Do you want a russet or a white sweet potato?”

We both wanted sweet potatoes.  Here is a picture of our filling, hearty and healthy dinner.



I opened a bottle of Touch, a Cotes du Gascogne appellation white I bought at Trader Joe’s for $7.99 I think.  I love its balance between acid and fruit that places it among my favorite white wines, especially at this price.

We watched the Stage 6 coverage again and it excited me more than the first time I saw it this morning.

At 9:15 Suzette went to bed and I blogged this blog.

I think I am still hyped up on Vietnamese coffee and feeling fresh as a daisy, but will try to put this daisy in bed soon.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment