Thursday, July 11, 2019

July 10, 2019 Lunch – Java Joe’s Dinner – Roasted Chicken and two kinds of Couscous and Maraschino cherries

July 10, 2019 Lunch – Java Joe’s   Dinner – Roasted Chicken and two kinds of Couscous and Maraschino cherries

I ate granola, yogurt, milk, and blueberries at 7:30 and then rode 4 miles.

At 10:00 I was getting sore so I toasted a slice of bagel, smeared it with cream cheese, and lay sliced onion and Lax on it and garnished with five or six cappers and Drank a cup of tea with it.

At 2:00 I went with Robert to Java Joe’s for lunch.  Robert ordered Lax and a bagel with cream cheese and capers.  What a coincident!  Or perhaps not for two older Ashkenazim men meeting for a meal at a coffee house.

I ordered the daily special, Chicken and red onion salad salad on a bed of lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber slices.  I liked the salad, especially since it has kept my salad for lunch streak going now for three days.

After lunch I returned home and worked until 5:00.  After watching the Nightly Business News and confirming that I had a good day in the Market at 5:30, I drove to El Super for the Wednesday produce specials.  The big deal today was cluster tomatoes, peaches, and limes for $.50/lb.  I also bought Napa cabbage, green beans, cucumbers, gala apples, 18 eggs on sale for $1.50, 10 lb. of potatoes for $1.69, and lemons.

When I returned to the homestead around 6:30  we rested for a couple of minutes and drank cocktails and ate a few corn chips. Then I washed a whole chicken and placed it on a Spandex rack in a square 9 inch Pyrex baking dish filled to a depth of ½ inch with water.  We roasted it in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes and then reduced the temperature to 350 degrees and cooked it another 1 ½ hours.  Suzette would not eat the PPI Couscous we made the other day, so she made cauliflower and broccoli Couscous by pulsing flowerets of cauliflower and broccoli in the Cuisinart until reduced to a large granules and then sautéing the granules in a large covered skillet in butter to cook and steam them.

I chilled a bottle of La Granja 70% Viura and 30% Verdejo blend Spanish white wine that I buy at Trader Joe’s for $5 or $6 a bottle.  It is my favorite wine with roasted chicken, my poor man’s Montrachet.

Maraschino Cherries

 Suzette wanted to make maraschino cherries, so while the food was cooking I pitted the four cups of cherries we had bought at Sprouts on Sunday and Suzette found a recipe on the Internet that called for making a syrup with sugar and cherry brandy or liquor.  Suzette found a nearly full bottle of Kirschwasser in the basement that she used and added some almond (noyes) liquor.  She washed bottles and caps and filled the bottles with the pitted cherries and then the liquor syrup. She stored the bottles in the fridge and said, “We shall see if it worked in three days.”

While all the dinner and cherry prep was going on we watched the news and Stage 5 of the Tour de France, an undulating course across northern France finishing in Colmar near the Rhine that Peter Sagan won easily in one of his powerful sprint finishes to retain the green jersey.

When the cauliflower/broccoli Couscous was cooked, I heated the PPI Couscous and Suzette spooned a pile of cauliflower Couscous onto each plate and I removed the chicken from the oven and the two leg quarters from the chicken and lay one on each pile of couscous.  I then added the heated regular
Couscous to my plate for a hardy dinner of chicken with two kinds of Couscous.  Here is a picture.





It was 9:15 by the time we finished dinner and finished watching Stage 5 while sipping the rest of the bottle of light white wine.  Suzette watched The Property Brothers and I went to bed and blogged until I fell asleep around 10:00.

I slept until 3:15 when I awoke and drank a glass of water and finished this blog.

We now have replenished the larder and will eat handsomely for days.

Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment