Wednesday, December 9, 2020

December 8, 2020 Lunch – PPI Vietnamese Shrimp, Beef, and fish ball noodle soup. Dinner – Grilled Filet Mignon, Roasted Potatoes and Onion, and Salad

December 8, 2020 Lunch – PPI Vietnamese Shrimp, Beef, and fish ball noodle soup.  Dinner – Grilled Filet Mignon, Roasted Potatoes and Onion, and Salad

Today we returned to a normal food schedule that ended with an amazingly wonderful meal.

I started with a bowl of granola, milk, yogurt, blueberries, and banana slices at 8:30.

Then at 11:30 I began heating the PPI Vietnamese Shrimp, Beef, and fish ball noodle soup.  I diced and added three oz. of PPI steak, three leaves of Napa cabbage sliced into bite sized pieces, and an egg whipped with soy sauce, Chinese Cooking wine, and sesame oil.  I added egg mixture after the soup came to a boil so it would create a cloud of small pieces of egg suspended throughout the soup that gave the soup extra body and flavor.




After lunch I worked on a pleading for a client and checked the market.  The big tech stocks under performed but the vaccine stocks did okay and a number of my stodgy stocks like AT&T and Verizon perked up to result in another winning day with a .6% increase in my portfolio

A bit after 3:00 I drove to the library to pick up Grant by Ron Chernow, then to deliver a deed to a lawyer, and finally to the bank.

When I returned at 4:00 I walked ½ mile to Kit Carson Park and back.  I walk along 15th and Raynolds because the late afternoon sun shines directly down the street and warms it.  Although heat was not an issue today, because the temperature was around 56 degrees at 4:30.

When I returned from my walk, I made a cup of coffee flavored with hot chocolate spiked with a small amount of cognac. We had decided on the menu this morning, so when I returned from my walk I fetched  a 9 X 13 inch Pyrex baking dish and filled it with peeled cloves of garlic, a diced onion, and several of the Yukon gold potatoes we bought last night at Costco diced into 1 inch cubes.

When Suzette arrived a bit after 6:00 she fetched the four fillet Mignon steaks and picked the thickest to grill.  I wrapped the three remaining steaks in Saran.

We discussed what wine we would drink and agreed upon a Wellington   Morhrhardt Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon, so I went to the cellar.  As I sorted through the Wellington bottles I did not see a Mohrhardt Ridge, but did find a 2007 Victory Reserve, which was their best bottle back in the day and a bottle of 2013 Noir de Noir.  I took both bottles up to the kitchen to show Suzette and we decided on the 2007 Victory because it was the older bottle and because we thought the Victory  Bordeaux blend of would 

complement the steak. 

 


Suzette then made the salad by tearing most of a head of the butter lettuce we bought at Costco last night 
and adding the last avocado diced, a tomato, and some of the pickled beets she had made at Thanksgiving    plus she made croutons with some of the French baguette cubed, shaken in a freezer bag with olive oil and salt  and then baked for approximately 15 minutes until they start to brown and added a handful of them to the salad. 

Suzette then lightly dusted the filet with salt and ground pepper and grilled it on the grill.   

While Suzette was making the salad and grilling the steak I sliced a medium shallot and ½ of an orange bell pepper that Suzette put in a medium skillet with butter and a bit of olive oil on medium heat on the stove.  I then sliced three large white mushrooms and four portobello mushrooms and added them to the skillet and took over the skillet so  Suzette could go outside to grill the steak.

I added some olive oil at Suzette’s suggestion and then tossed the mushrooms, shallot, and pepper combination with a few dashes of ground thyme and after the mushrooms were all coated with fat, a T. or 2 of Marsala.  I then turned the heat down to its lowest.  

After a Suzette put the steak n the grill she returned and removed the potatoes from the oven.  We had roasted the potatoes at 375 degrees on convection for about 45 minutes covered with aluminum foil and about twenty minutes uncovered to brown them.  Suzette covered them with foil to keep them warm after removing them from the oven. 


 












 

We decided to grill the steak on the pre-heated grill for five minutes on each side since the steak was over 1 ½ inches thick.

The result of our coordinated effort was an amazing dinner with an equally amazing wine

Bon Appetit

 
























 





No comments:

Post a Comment