Saturday, December 26, 2020

December 26, 2020 Lunch – Cornish Game Hen, Green Pea, Mushroom, Onion, and cheese Omelet. Dinner – Madras Chicken Curry with Rice, coconut, and peanuts

 December 26, 2020 Lunch – Cornish Game Hen, Green Pea, Mushroom, Onion, and cheese Omelet. Dinner – Madras Chicken Curry with Rice, coconut, and peanuts

Some days are big food days when I am really hungry and others are not.  Today was a big food day.

I started around 9:30 with a small 2 ½ nah piece of baguette that I sliced into three slices and toasted them.  I then smeared the slices with cream cheese and lay thin slices of red onion and Gravad Lax on them and ate them with a cup of Earl Grey tea.  I was still hungry so I toasted a slice of Willy’s bubble bread an smeared it with butter and orange marmalade and ate it with another cup of tea.

Then at 11:30 I became hungry again and made an omelet with a Cornish game hen breast, three portobello mushrooms sliced, 4 oz. of white onion diced, ½ shallot minced, about 2 T. of cooked green peas. I sautéed the mushrooms, onions, and game hen for several minutes until it softened .  I then added the peas and three whisked eggs seasoned with salt and pepper and a dash of Marsala.  When the egg began to set I lay about seven or eight slices of Jarlsberg cheese Suzette had sliced.  After a few more minutes when the bottom of the omelet had turned golden brown, I flipped one side onto the other and cooked it an additional couple of minutes.  We drank Glasses of Famille Bougerier Vouvray with the omelet.

After lunch suzette, and I gathered the luminaries and removed the spent candles and Willy filled them with another candle and stacked five bags deep and stored them in the garage ready for next year.

I wrote the blog for yesterday and published it until 4:30 and napped until 6:00. We had thawed out a chicken and decided to make curry.  Suzette had put the chicken on to boil in a pot of water with a diced carrot, some onion, and a stalk of celery at 4:00 and removed it from the pot at 6:00 when I awakened.

Chicken Curry. 

We had a large container of pumpkin we had prepared several months ago.  We had previously made chicken curry substituting pumpkin for sweet potato.  Tight I did the same . I diced and sautéed two medium onions, three apples, seven cloves of garlic dusted with madras curry powder in canola  and butter.  I then de-boned the chicken meat.  I cubed the white meat and bagged the dark meat for another meal. I then added enough chicken broth to cover the sautéed ingredients.  I then cubed about three cups of pumpkin and added a dash of ordered cloves and allspice and about 1 T. of ground cinnamon and about 2 tsp. of salt.

 I let the ingredients cook for about 30 minutes and then made a roux of flour and butter and added about 1/3 cup of heavy cream to make a loose paste that I added to the curry to thicken it.  Unfortunately, the flour destroyed the clarity of the spices.  Suzette heated up the PPI rice from yesterday and I crushed 1/3 cup of peanuts and 1/3 cup of coconut and put each into a bowl. 

I fetched the jar f Major Grey’s Mango Chutney and the container of five ingredient pickle.

We each piled rice into bowls and spooned curry over the rice and added chopped peanuts and coconut and chutney and pickle.  The chutney is sweet and the pickle is salty.

Suzette fetched 2 Especial beers from the garage and we ate a not great, but decent curry dinner. 

After dinner we watched the Steven Hawking biopic on Netflix.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment