Monday, November 4, 2019

November 4, 2019 Lunch – PPI Chirashi Donburi. Dinner – Baked Breaded Shrimp with avocado crema and Pasta with Spaghetti Sauce and Peach and Blueberry Cobbler

November 4, 2019 Lunch – PPI Chirashi Donburi. Dinner – Baked Breaded Shrimp with avocado crema and Pasta with Spaghetti Sauce and Peach and Blueberry Cobbler

We are forming new ways of organizing meals if today is an example.

Suzette does not eat breakfast. She simply drinks several cups of coffee with steamed milk.

I have begun sleeping later and skipping breakfast many mornings as I did today, especially when I have a delicious lunch planned, as today.

I had brought home ½ of my lunch from Friday at Azuma, a Chirashi Donburi.  Raw fish, a slice of cooked octopus, seaweed salad a slice of omelet, and a bed of sushi rice with pickled ginger and wasabi.

Here is a picture.


I drank several cups of green tea with it and had ginger and wasabi left, so I can buy some tuna and salmon and scallops and make sushi rice to create my own Chirashi for less than the $14.99 I paid at Azuma.  Although not as great a variety of fish there will be lots more food.

I worked for a bit after lunch and watched the Market set highs in all the three major indices today.  Actually I sold 70 shares of Exxon-Mobil stock today to fund my mandatory distribution from one of my IRAs and took a distribution in the other IRA, so I am good for this year.

Even after the distributions my portfolio will still at a record high, just like the Market.

At 3:30 I rode the short loop and then drank a couple of hot buttered rums and watched the business news.  This is starting to look like a historic run by the market.

Suzette came home at 5:15 hungry because she had not eaten anything all day.  She ate chips and avocado crema and was still hungry, so I baked about two dozen Panko crusted shrimp (a prepared food item bought at Costco) in the oven for fifteen minutes until they began to turn brown and crispy.  We shared them, dipping them into the avocado crema.  Suzette drank a beer and I drank my hot
buttered rum.

I had thawed out a steak, but Suzette was no longer hungry for a big meal, so we did not cook.

Instead she ate some peach cobbler with a sniffer of cognac later.  I decided to eat a light dinner so I heated some PPI casarecce pasta covered with some of the beef and mushroom spaghetti sauce I made last week.


Gravad Lax

After I finished dinner we made Gravad Lax with the 2 filets of salmon weighing 5.35 lb. and two packets of fresh dill we bought at Sprouts on Sunday.  We doubled the basic Swedish recipe that is for 3 lb. of filets.
In a mixing bowl Suzette mixed 1 1/3 cup of salt with 1 cup of sugar and 1 tsp of ground black pepper.  We then lines the bottom of a Pyrex baking dish with fresh dill.  Then Suzette poured the dry mixture over the outside of one filet and I lay in outside side down on the dill.  She then poured dry mix over the inside of that filet and I lay a bed of dill on it.  Then she poured dry mix over the inside of the second filet as I held it over the dish to catch any excess in the dish and I flipped the inside onto the other filet so the two insides of the filets were facing each other.  Then I lay the rest of the dill sprigs on top of the outside of the top filet facing up and Suzette poured the rest of the dry mixture onto the top of the outside of the top filet.

I then covered the Pyrex baking dish with Saran and weighed the filets down with a brick and put the dish into the fridge.

 



The chemical reaction that we call curing is the exchange of the oil inside the fish with the salt and sugar.  The salt and sugar draw the liquid out of the fish

I then watched Dallas Cowboys beat the NY Giants and a bit of news about the litigation that Trump is losing to prevent release of 8 years of his tax returns in the Second Circuit US Court of Appeals.  He has ten days to submit a Writ of Certiorari appealing the decision to the US Supreme Court.  There is no guaranty that the Supreme Court will accept cert.

Trump’s arguments seem weak in two respects.  First, he is claiming that DOJ memos that say a President can not be prosecuted for a crime while in office create a Presidental privilege or a Constitutional privilege.  Even if the DOJ memo is deemed correct, it does not stop an investigation of a crime and it is likely that a memo created by one branch of government can not stop a different branch of government from exercising it Constitutionally granted power to exercise its oversight power or for the courts to decide I’d the memo conflicts with the Constitution.  The other problem with Trump’s argument is that if there is a presidential privilege it can only apply to acts taken while in office.  The investigation by the Southern District of NY involves possible tax fraud during the years preceding 2016 when Trump became President, so there appears to be no privilege to stop an investigation into those years’ returns.

There is also a suit by a woman who is suing him for slander seeking tax returns and the Supreme Court preciously ruled that subpoenas in such cases must be honored. I think it was the Paula Jones case against Bill Clinton.

The legal arguments and maneuvering are fascinating to me.


A went to bed at midnight.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment