Thursday, November 21, 2019

November 21, 2019 Lunch – Vietnam 2000. Dinner – Peruvian Chicken Chimichanga with fried Yucca sticks

November 21, 2019 Lunch – Vietnam 2000. Dinner – Peruvian Chicken Chimichanga with fried Yucca sticks

I ate yogurt, tropical fruit salad, and granola for breakfast and watched some of the impeachment hearing.

Daniel came by at 11:30 and we went to lunch at Vietnam 2000.  He has not been there in a long time, so I recommended Bun Cha Gio, No. 21, a large bowl with cool lettuce, herbs, and mung bean sprouts on the bottom, warm freshly steamed rice vermicelli noodles in the middle and grill pork and fried pork egg rolls on top, served with a small bowl of sweet fish sauce.

He loved the dish and said he would come back.

I went home and watched more impeachment hearings and then drafted and filed papers in my new divorce case.

The papers were rejected so I corrected them and re-filed.

Then I drove to meditation at 5:00.

I returned home at 6:00, brushed my teeth and walked down to Charlie’s and he drove us to book club at Tom’s house in Four Hills.

The book for this month was Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder.

It is set in Peru of the 1700’s, so  Tom had ordered chimichangas and fried yucca from a Peruvian restaurant in Nob Hill for a light dinner for each of us.  I had never had a Peruvian Chimichanga.  It was similar to other chicken chimichangas I have had.  There were two dipping sauces, one a light cool thin sauce and the other a bit more picante.

These were the best yucca I have ever had.   After the discussion dessert was served; a square of flan with caramel sauce and a scoop of Peruvian ice cream flavored with Lucuma fruit.  Lucuma is a subtropical fruit native to Peru and known as well as "the last gold of the Incas". Images of it have been found on ceramics of ancient Peruvian cultures. The round or ovoid fruits are green with a yellow to orange, fibrous flesh. Lucuma has a unique flavor of maple and sweet potato. Peruvians love their Lucuma, but it's rarely eaten raw. Instead Lucuma is a popular ingredient for ice cream in Peru and used also in cakes, puddings and desserts.

I enjoyed the lovely Peruvian dinner.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment