Wednesday, February 6, 2019

February 6, 2019 Lunch – Hot Dog at Costco. Dinner – Teriyaki Salmon Grilled on a cedar plank with Steamed Broccoli and Mashed Potatoes and Celeriac

This was the first day in a week without a doctor’s appointment, vacation time in Taos, or physical therapy.  It was also the double discount day at Sprouts and I saw several specials that appealed to me in the flyer I received in the mail.

So at 12:30 I drove to Costco and shopped for a couple of personal items such as conditioner and a turista medicine prescribed by my doctor for my trip to Mexico.  I then shopped for several items we needed at home, including eggs, almond flour, butter, olive oil, and Brie cheese.  I then ate a hot dog garnished with relish, catsup, mustard and onions open face with a knife and fork.

I then drove west on Montano across the river to Coors to the new Sprouts store.  I went a little wild buying slicer tomatoes for $.88/lb., broccoli, kale for $.88 per bunch, a ½ lb. ball of fresh mozzarella, a fresh basil plant, a 6 lb. whole beef tenderloin for $9.99/lb., a 1.6 lb. fresh Atlantic Salmon filet, milk, chocolate covered almonds for $3.99/lb., 1 lb. of white mushrooms for $3.49, large artichokes for 2 fo $3.00, asparagus for $1.48/lb., a gallon of ice cream, and three avocados for $1.00.  I bought the live basil plant so we could harvest some of its leaves to make caprese salad and then plant the plant in the covered bed.

I enjoyed shopping for all the lovely food at good prices, but was tired by the time I loaded it into the car, so drove home around 3:00.  I called Willy and he said he would come for dinner at 7:00 and he suggested teriyaki salmon.

I made a simple teriyaki Sauce by heating 1/3 cup each of soy sauce, Aji mirin, and sake plus 1 T. of sugar until the sugar dissolves.  Then I placed the salmon filet in a gallon freezer bag and let the teriyaki sauce cool and then poured the teriyaki sauce into the bag with the salmon and put the bag into the fridge to marinate the salmon.

When Suzette arrived I fetched the cedar plank from the Shed and cut a length long enough to hold the salmon filet.  I gave the board to Suzette who soaked it iunder water in the tub.  I also simmered the two artichokes in water for an hour.  We will cut them in half and grill them with the steaks on Saturday when we host the Palmers for dinner.

At 6:45 we began cooking.  I de-flowered about 1 lb. of broccoli flowerets and steamed them for about 10 minutes while Suzette heated the grill and then put the salmon and board on the grill and cooked it 20 minutes.  Suzette also fetched the PPI Mashed celeriac and potatoes and heated them at 7:00 for a couple of minutes in the microwave on high heat.

I poured glasses of Picton Bay New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc I had bought recently at Trader Joe’s for $7.99, I think.

When the salmon was cooked Suzette brought it in and placed a dab of homemade cranberry sauce on each plate, then a mound of potatoes and finally some broccoli flowerets, and I lay 1/3 of the filet on each mound.

Here are pictures.

We enjoyed dinner and then watched some news. After Willy left around 8:00 I made a cup of Earl Grey tea and ate a few chocolate covered almonds.

We went to bed at 9:00.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment