Monday, February 18, 2019

February 16, 2019 Caracoral Beach. Dinner – Fish Soup and Turista

February 16, 2019 Caracoral Beach. Dinner – Fish Soup and Turista

The day started beautifully.  We ate yogurt and papaya and toasted a palmier and a chocolate croissant in a dry skillet.

We then drove along the jungle road to Caracoral Beach, which I think is perhaps the most lovely I have ever seen and walked along it looking for shells.  Again Suzette found the best cowerie.  Here is a picture of the two she has found.  Both are backed shells without their full coloration but a thrill to find.

We stopped and ate a ham sandwich on the beach, which was my lunch.

We then returned and Suzette ate the remaining guacamole with chips and a beer.

I was not feeling up to food so I passed.

At 5:00 Suzette made a lovely fish and shrimp soup with tomatoes and potatoes, which she ate with a glass of rose de Douro.  It is a wine made from the vino tinto grape, so it has a heaviness and body to it, but an unusually drinkable wine that I have not drunk previously.

In the evening I began to throw up and did so three times until I had thrown up the entire ham and cheese sandwich plus all the water I had drunk.

I have this theory that my stomach and gut is filled with protective bacteria that will not accept certain things I eat.  In this case I think the offending thing was the water in the open bottle in the unit that we made tea and coffee with, brushed our teeth, and drank on our beach walk.  It was an open bottle that looked old and I decided that the water was polluted with local bacteria.  An hour or two later Suzette began throwing up, which confirmed that it was probably bad water.  I finally cleared my system of offending water and sandwich around midnight and Suzette a little later.  I had taken the precaution of obtaining a zpak of antibiotic for turista from my doctor, so at 2:00 a.m. after I was convinced I was through throwing up I took one and soon felt better and slept until 8:00.  Suzette took a half pill a little later and began to feel better, but she suffered from diarrhea some also.

By the morning I felt much better.  Suzette not so much but she was making progress also.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment