Tuesday, February 12, 2019

February 11, 2019 Lunch – Mega Pork Salad. Dinner – Chicken Enchiladas with Guacamole

February 11, 2019 Lunch – Mega Pork Salad. Dinner – Chicken Enchiladas with Guacamole

Today I spent 6 ½ hours continuously sitting at my desk editing the final draft of a filing for my water case.

At 2:30 I finished the project and decided to make a salad using as many ingredients as possible to clear out the fridge.

Here is the result.



I had to stop before I used up all the ingredients including last night’s PPI stuffed pork tenderloin for fear that the mound would collapse and make a mess on the table.

After lunch I worked until 4:30 when I drove to the bank and post office.

I knew Suzette would want chicken enchiladas, so I stopped at Lowe’s at around 5:15 and bought a package of five fresh chicken thighs.

When I returned home at 5:30 I fetched the mozzarella cheese and requeson and simmered the Chicken thighs for about an hour during which time Suzette arrived.  I de-stemmed and chopped the last six or seven stalks of kale.

Then I made a batch of The Shed red chili.  It is essentially a roux made with 2 T. of minced garlic,  ¼ cup canola oil, 2 T. of flour, and 1/3 cup of red chile that is diluted with 1 cup of tomato juice and 2
cups of water.

I used 1 ½ cups each of Clamato and 1 cup of water



I boned and shredded the cooked chicken thighs and put the bones into the pot that I had used to boil them and continued to simmer the pot to create a richer broth.  At this point, Suzette helped me assemble the enchiladas in a 9 x 13 inch Pyrex casserole.  I soaked 5 blue corn tortillas in a mixture of chili and broth to soften them and we lay the soaked tortillas in the bottom of the casserole . Then Suzette spread requeson, grated cheese and chicken on top of the tortillas.  I then softened 5 more tortillas and laid them on top of the first layer and Suzette added another layer of chicken meat, cheese, kale, red chili and requeson.

Finally I softened the last six tortillas and laid hem on top.  Suzette sprinkled shredded mozzarella on top as the final layer.  She then poured the remaining broth into the remaining red chili and we cooked it for abut fifteen minutes to thicken and then filled the casserole to its lip with sauce.

                                                        After 1/2 hour

We cooked the enchiladas about 1 hour until they gave off a cooked smell and the cheese seemed to be fully melted.

After 1 hour of baking at 350 degrees

While the enchiladas coked we made guacamole with two small avocados, two oz. of finely minced red onion, 1 T. of fresh cilantro, some of the PPI red chili with garlic, and salt.

Suzette fetched beers from the garage and we had a delicious dinner while we watched the Antiques Roadshow from Sarasota.

After dinner we ate the last piece of clementine cake and Suzette made Martha Stewart spiced pecans for the Bistro’s new salad and we went to bed around 9:00.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment