Monday, February 4, 2019

February 3, 2019 Lunch – PPI Enchiladas and Posole with a fried egg. Dinner – Cassoulet

February 3, 2019 Lunch – PPI Enchiladas and Posole with a fried egg. Dinner – Cassoulet

I woke up at around 6:30 and started watching Liecester lose to MU and CNN Sunday news and the Fareed Zacharia and then Meet the Press.

I rested after the news until Suzette returned from shopping with some lovely ceramics she bought at Goodwill.

She heated the PPIs from yesterday’s lunch at The Shed in a large skillet and added two eggs that she poached in the sauce.  We ate the result with a beer at around 1:00.

After lunch we each ate a bowl of ice cream.

I watched TV with Suzette until 3:00 when I rode my bike three or four miles.

Before I rode Suzette and I decided to make Cassoulet with the PPI duck and lamb plus the remaining beans and a can of favs beans.  Suzette also added a mirepoix of sautéd celery, carrots and Japanese turnips I diced.

Suzette combined all the ingredients in a large Le Creuset enameled casserole and baked it in the oven.  After it was cooked Suzette buttered a few slices of French baguette and wrapped them in foil and heated them in the oven and we ate them along with the cassoulet.

When I returned at 4:00 I took a shower, dressed for dinner and went to the kitchen.

I read on wine search that the preferred wine for duck was Pinot Noir.  At Suzette’s prompting I went to the basement and found a bottle of 2006 Londer Corby Vineyards Anderson Valley Pinot Noir.  Suzette agreed that this was one of the best pinots we had ever tasted.  It had a medium color and a rich blackberry flavor in the front and middle and an elegant Pinot finish.  It made me happy we had visited the Londers and were members of their wine club and bought their wines and made me sad that that era has ended.


At least we are still enjoying the few wines we still have.

We loved the cassoulet and we have lots left.

This is one of those meals that is great because it combines an  unusual comfort food served with a world class wine

Cassoulet was one of the first dishes Suzette made for me when we started to datebook February 21 years ago, so this was like an anniversary dinner to celebrate all the fun years, food and wine we have made and consumed since then.

After dinner I put a few slices of Brie on the last piece of hot French baguette and later I had a sip of the liquor Suzette made with the European Juniper berries we got in Spain about ten years ago with a couple of chocolates.


We were in bed by 8:30 feeling wonderfully full of cassoulet and wine.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment