Monday, January 21, 2019

January 20, 2019 Brunch – Smoked Pork Chop Burrito. Dinner – Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Spinach

January 20, 2019 Brunch – Smoked Pork Chop Burrito. Dinner – Roast Duck with Braised Red Cabbage and Spinach

As I watched the Sunday Morning news programs and Manchester City beat Fulham in the last minute of overtime, Suzette made breakfast burritos by sautéing a mixture of onion, smoked pork chop, mushrooms, red Chile sauce, and roasted potatoes.

She served the mixture on a toasted whole wheat tortilla for a delicious light breakfast.  I drank my favorite Mexican tea, chamomile with lime juice and honey with the burrito.

After breakfast I made a bowl of tropical fruit salad with a papaya, a pineapple, three mangos and three oranges.


At 2:00 I became hungry and made myself two open faced sandwiches on toasted rye bread, one with sour cream and pickled herring and the other piece of toast buttered and topped with slices of fresh Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese.

After my snack I ate a sugar pill and walked between ½ and 1 mile with Suzette.

I watched the NFC and AFC final games today. They were both very exciting with both being tied at the end of regulation.

When we returned from our walk we decided to start cooking the duck.

After Suzette put the duck on a spandex vertical roasting frame she brushed it with the Chambord glaze but that volatilized in the oven.  She cooked the duck for 1 ½ hours during which time I sliced ½ head of red cabbage and de-stemmed a colander full of spinach leaves.




I also selected the wine for the meal, a bottle of Louis Dublanc Cotes Du Rhone bought at aTrader Joe’s recently for $6.99.  It blends Syrah, Grenache, and Mouvedre grapes into a week rounder yet light very drinkable wine.  Vinvino rates it 3.7 and very good value, but without a long finish.  I actually enjoyed drinking it without food but found the short finish excellent for food because it allows me to savor the food flavor longer without the interference of the wine, which was the good thing about the rich Franciscan Cab the other night with the Meatloaf.


The inspiration for this meal was twofold. I wanted to see if I could eat a rich fatty meat like duck and I had remembered when we were staying inPrague in a Sunday, our host told us that duck and red cabbage was a traditional Sunday evening dinner in Czcheckoslovakia, so we went for roasted duck at a traditional restaurant named the Blue Duck, which still exists.  Here is a picture of their roasted duck dinner.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x470b94eec7f292bd%3A0x200ef26f6efe6c94!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM5mLUT11GeB_X7d7YUSb1xI6nJMkTNJHSQhJL6%3Dw768-h576-k-no!5sblue%20duck%20restaurant%20prague%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipM5mLUT11GeB_X7d7YUSb1xI6nJMkTNJHSQhJL6&viewerState=ga#

While the duck was roasting Suzette Braised the cabbage in olive and cumin and then added 2 T. of vinegar and 1 T. of sugar to moisten the cabbage.  At the end she added the spinach and poured the wine and I fetched the bottle of quince and cranberry compote she made last year, which was a perfect complement to the rich, fatty duck meat.



Here is our roasted duck dinner





We enjoyed dinner immensely and I celebrated with my first sniffer of Calvados since my operation.  This meal was the official return to my former range of gastronomic adventurism.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment