Thursday, January 17, 2019

January 16, 2019 Lunch – Beef Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup Dinner – Mom’s Meatloaf, Roasted Potatoes, and Baked Asparagus

January 16, 2019 Lunch – Beef Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup  Dinner – Mom’s Meatloaf, Roasted Potatoes, and Baked Asparagus

I had to go to Court today so I started the day with a hardy breakfast.  I sautéed a smoked pork chop, a ¼ inch thick round of onion, and two eggs and toasted a slice of rye bread and smeared it with orange marmalade.




Aaron arrived around 11:00 and we prepared and filed his exhibit list and talked about the case.

At noon I made Beef Vietnamese Miso Noodle Soup.  I started with a large pot of water and added 1 shallot diced, ½ T. of dried seaweed, 1 mushroom sliced, 1 hamburger sliced thinly, 1/heaping T. of red miso, 3 oz. of firm tofu, a few drops of beef broth, a cube of Vietnamese soup flavoring, four leaves of Napa cabbage sliced into strips, and 1 ½ T. Of Chinese cooking wine plus three types of dried noodles, Vietnamese rice sticks, bean thread noodles, and Japanese buckwheat noodles.

I put out fresh mung bean sprouts, cilantro, hoisin sauce, and sriracha.

We ate two bowls each, it was so good.

We went to trial at 2:00 and got a good result, which made me very happy for Aaron.
When we returned home I was tired and after a quick celebratory drink, Aaron left and I lay down for a while.  The market and my portfolio made small gains today.

At 5:45 I checked my mail and I saw a message from Todd, which made me realize, it was Wednesday, our normal  meditation night.

I called Todd and drove to  the Friends’ Meeting Hall.  I found Todd had already arrived.  We meditated until 7:00.

When I returned home from meditation Suzette had already made Mom’s Meatloaf, Roasted Potatoes and Baked Asparagus, much to my delight.  Mom’s Meatloaf is a simple recipe for traditional Meatloaf that includes, hamburger meat, chopped Nixon’s, oatmeal, catsup, Worcestershire Sauce, and eggs, plus salt and pepper to taste.

Suzette also roasted the remaining 2 lb. of the baby creamer potatoes from Costco tossed in olive oil and covered with aluminum foil and the last of the asparagus.

Suzette selected a bottle of 2015 Paton Crianza Spanish Tempranillo as I was checking my daily portfolio performance.  This is a very drinkable bottle, especially for $4.99 at Trader Joe’s.



I went to dinner on the second call to dinner.  Here is the result of Suzette’s handy work in the kitchen tonight.  This is surely one of the quintessential comfort food meals.


After dinner I ate a few pieces of toasted French baguette with Iberico cheese on them and a few chocolates.

We went to bed at 9:00 after I refrigerated the PPI potatoes and meatloaf.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment