Sunday, December 9, 2018

December 8, 2018 Brunch – Huevos Tejanos con Papas. Snack – Cream of Kabocha Squash Soup. Dinner – Frenchish

December 8, 2018 Brunch – Huevos Tejanos con Papas. Snack – Cream of Kabocha Squash Soup. Dinner – Frenchish

My big activity of the day was food shopping from 8:00 to 10:00.  I first went to Donut Mart on Coors and got three whole wheat and three whole wheat everything bagels.  Donut Mart makes my favorite bagels.  The owner is my client and gives me the bagels, so I am surely not impartial or have fully researched the field.

I then went to the new Sprouts store on Coors, my new favorite food store.  I like to go on Saturday for the 72 hour sale specials, such as organic sharp cheddar cheese for $4.99 for 1 lb., pork shoulder for $.99/lb., pork sausage for $2.00/lb., and fresh Bratwurst for $2.99/lb..  I also bought at regular price, Brussels sprouts, green beans, and tofu.  Nice asparagus was $1.48/lb. and Chocolate coated almonds were $3.99/lb.

I decided to make Posole with the pork shoulder, so I then drove to El Super, which has an in store tortilleria.  A nice lady put up with my Spanish and fetched me a 4.5 lb. bag of fresh Posole. I also bought five onions, a package of 45 still warm blue corn tortillas for $1.69,  and ½ lb. of white mushrooms.

I was tired and hungry, so when I arrived home so was Suzette, who asked me if I was hungry.  We decided to cook huevos Rancheros with the fresh warm blue corn tortillas, but decided to add Texas Chile instead of New Mexico chili.

Here is what the dish looked like.


We decided to wait a few days before cooking the Posole until we had eaten the duck and had made duck stock to use to make the Posole.

Suzette went Christmas shopping for three hours while I sat by the fireplace and dozed as I watched English Premier League soccer.

At 3:00 when Suzette returned I chopped three tortillas and we broiled them until they dried out and became croutons which we garnished the PPI Cream of Kabocha Soup that we re-heated.



After our soup Suzette napped.  At 4:30 I showered and dressed for the symphony.  At 5:00 Suzette awoke and dressed and at 5:30 we drove to Popejoy for the New Mexico Philharmonic performance.  I did not care for the Leonard Bernstein Symposium but loved the second half with the Prelude to the Afternoon of the Faun and Stravinsky’s Firebird.

After the symphony we drove to Frenchist at 3509 Central Ne at 8:00, where we found Nancy and Cliff already seated at a table.  We discussed the symphony performance and many other things as we ate dinner and found ourselves the last customers to leave at 10:15.

                                            Nancy and Cliff eating with Bob and Suzette
I spoke to Jennifer James briefly and she suggested the Pork burger, but since Suzette is not eating
bread, chose a pork and roasted squash dish instead.  The pork was pork shoulder, so not very tender
and she was displeased that the pieces of squash were not skinned.

We started with the foie gras appetizer.  It was a medium piece of seared foie gras served on slices of apples with baby arugula leaves.  I always order foie gras at Frenhish and always like it.





Jennifer on the line wearing the blue hat


                                            Suzette’s dish of roasted pork shoulder

Alternatively, Nancy, Cliff and I ordered the three course prix fixe dinner.  The first course was a lovely small plate of butter lettuce with a sort of acidic citrus Russian dressing.



The entrée was a plate with a grilled 4 oz.  filet mignon, a pile of fried potatoes, and a small ramekin of aioli sauce that was not very strongly flavored with garlic, which is a positive in my estimation.


We all enjoyed our dinner.

After dinner coffees were ordered and Suzette ordered the cappuccino cream and Nancy, Cliff, and I were served the pot au crème that was part of the prix fixe dinner, a rich, dark, and creamy chocolate cream with a large dollop of whipped cream.  Suzette’s was even simpler, cappuccino whipped with whipped cream, but elegantly simple.




Except for Suzette, we enjoyed our dinners.  It is hard to order a carb free meal at a restaurant.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment