Monday, December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018 Lunch – PPI Miso Chicken Noodle Soup. Dinner – Provencal Scallops with Baked Vegetables and Steamed Asparagus

I made a Mushroom, Potato and Green Onion Omelet with Fried Sausage for breakfast.



At lunch I heated the PPI Miso Chicken Soup to which I added water, chicken stock, and chicken dumplings.

A hearty breakfast and lunch.

Before dinner I made a coffee hot chocolate with rum in my new mug and enjoyed drinking it leisurely by the fire because it held its 140 degree temperature.  Suzette tasted it and made one for herself.

At lunch I brought the Posole in to simmer.  By 5:00 it was ready to eat but I cooked it until 8:30 to soften all the corn kernels.

Tonight I thawed 12 scallops for dinner and made my favorite scallop dish from Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking.

Here is the recipe.








I diced ½ cup of yellow onion, 3 T. of shallot, and 1 clove of garlic.

Then I sliced the scallops in half horizontally and tossed them in a freezer bag in which I placed enough salt and pepper seasoned flour to coat the scallops with flour.

I snapped about 14 stalks of asparagus and fetched the baked potatoes, carrots, and parsnips from the garage.

Suzette spooned some baked vegetables into a microwaveable container into the microwave and I put water and the asparagus into the steamer and started it steaming on the stove.

I then heated butter in a large pan and sautéed the onions.  Suzette took over the stove duties at this point as I added the shallots and garlic to the large skillet.  After sautéing the shallots for a minute or two she added the scallops and sautéed them on both sides as I poured 2/3 cup of white wine into a measuring cup with 1/3 cup of water.

After the scallops were cooked Suzette added the cup of wine and water and covered the skillet with the wok cover and let the dish simmer for 4 or 5 minutes.  She then stirred the skillet to thicken the sauce.






She plated the dish in pasta dishes, first spooning a pile of baked vegetables into the bowl and then covering it with the sautéed scallops and finally laying six or seven steamed stalks of asparagus beside the pile.

I opened a bottle of Famille Perrin Reserve Cotes Du Rhone White wine (Trader Joe’s $7.99). This is one of my favorite under $10.00 white wines.  It is a blend made from Roussanne and Marsanne grapes.  I like its assertiveness and character.

After dinner I drank a couple cups of chai with three ginger snaps that Luke gave me for Christmas.

At 10:00 after watching two Albuquerque episodes of Antique Roadshow and an hour of news, we went to bed or in my case to blog.

Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment