Thursday, August 30, 2018

August 30, 2018 Lunch – Tuna Salad. Dinner – Book Club.

August 30, 2018 Lunch – Tuna Salad. Dinner – Book Club.

I woke up after 7:00 and watched the business news until after the end of Warren Buffet’s interview.  Apple was up about $.40 when the interview started and it immediately went up another $.40 as he spoke.  After he spoke it went up as high as $4.00 but settled to around $2.00 by the end of the day, to a new all time high.  The two things he said that caught my attention and probably most other Apple watchers, given the stock’s daily movement were that he is still buying “some” Apple share (I think the number of shares bought most recently was 6,000,000.  I think Berkshire Hathaway owns a total of 250,000,000 shares of Apple currently).  So today’s gain to Berkshire based mostly on Buffet’s comments was $500,000,000.  Think about that.

His other comment that really lit a fire under investors was that the company is actively buying back shares.  I think the current buy back plan is for $100 Billion.  Buffet’s actual comment was, “So, I guess I should talk the stock down so they will buy back more shares and drive the price up.”

It was clear to me and other investors, apparently, that this was a no lose proposition.  If Buffet buys shares the price goes up. If the price goes down, Apple buys shares, which pushes the price back up.

I ate a 1/3 thick toasted slice of bagel smeared with cream cheese and layered with onion slices and white fish for breakfast with a cup of green tea as Buffet spoke.


Then I rode my bike to Rio Bravo.  After  I returned and showered I completed my memo for the complaint I am working on for my water case by 1:00.

I then made a fresh salad with the approximate 1/3 lb. of PPI fresh Aji tuna, two Roma tomatoes diced, 1/3 of a cucumber diced, croutons, two radishes diced, and about 2 oz. of minced onion.  I made a Japanese dressing with rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, Mirin, and a bit of salt.

The salad was delightfully light and flavorful.



After lunch I worked until about 3:30 when I went to bed for a nap that lasted until 5:30.  I then checked cocktail recipes for Moonshine and discovered one with cola and maraschino cherries, so I went to Lowe’s at 6:00 and bought those items plus two bottles of Tonic water and a gallon of milk.

I returned home and gathered up the bottle of Moonshine and went to Charlie’s by 6:30.

He drove us to Ken’s house in Sandia Heights for this month’s book club.  Amazingly all 12 members were in attendance, including our new member Gary.

Here are pictures of the motley crew.




Ken and his wife put out a lovely spread with boiled shrimp, guacamole and blue corn chips, plus baby carrots, nuts and candy.  There were both white and red wines.  Ken usually buys wines at Costco that score over 90 points.  A lovely meeting and evening

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment