Tuesday, August 28, 2018

August 27, 2018 Lunch – PPI Steak, Mushrooms, and cipolini Onions and Cauliflower Couscous Dinner – Fish Tacos with guacamole and red cabbage coleslaw

August 27, 2018 Lunch – PPI Steak, Mushrooms, and cipolini Onions and Cauliflower Couscous  Dinner – Fish Tacos with guacamole and red cabbage coleslaw

I promised Suzette I would test the smoked white fish to see if it was still edible! So at 7:30 I put my body on the line and toasted ½ of a whole wheat bagel, smeared it with cream cheese and spread lumps of white fish on it and ate it with two cups of Earl Grey tea with milk.  As you probably have guessed, I lived; surprisingly, with no ill effects.  In fact the white fish was delicious.

At 11:00 I called a Gruet and ordered another case of rose champagne at a 40% discount, which came to about $11.50 per bottle with tax.

At 12:30 I heated the plate of PPI rib steak and sautéed mushrooms, cipolini onions, and sugar snap peas from last Friday or Saturday night with some of the PPI cauliflower Couscous, carrots, and green beans from last night’s meal.  I drank a glass of the PPI Trader Joe’s Growers Select Petite Sirah from California.  I heated the steak and vegetables in the microwave, which made the steak much tougher, but I enjoyed the good chew.

Suzette had mentioned re-using the canola cooking oil used to fry last Night’s trout to made fish tacos.  At 4:00 I drove to El Super and bought a head each of Napa and red cabbage, three small avocados, a bunch of cilantro, a cucumber, a still warm package of three dozen blue corn tortillas for $1.69, and 24 eggs.  El Super does not sell fresh fish, so I drove to Albertsons and hit the jackpot twice.  First, it had fresh Aji tuna loin on sale for $6.97/lb., so I bought a 1.6 lb. piece for dinner and a .9 lb. piece for lunch tomorrow.  Then I decided to see if Albertson’s had daikon to slice into strips to go with the tuna sashimi tomorrow and I was surprised to find several.  I asked the produce man to cut me off a small piece, which at $2.99/lb. cost me $.84.

They have started roasting green chili at El Super.  Here is a picture.


I then went home a bit before 5:00 and made a Clafoutis with 3.75 cups of heavy cream and half and half scalded.  I buttered and sugared a ceramic baking dish.  Then I measured 10 T. of flour into a mixing bowl and added 12 T. of powdered sugar to the flour.  I then whisked five eggs in a bowl and added them to the dry ingredients.  I let the scalded milk cool and then added it to the batter of flour and dry ingredients to complete the batter.  I poured the batter into the buttered baking dish and then added the bowl of cherries that had marinated in cognac and Grand Marnier for two days.  This filled the baking dish to its rim.  I baked the Clafoutis in a 350 degree pre-heated oven for 54minutes.  Here is the end result.


The big crack may mean it is slightly undercooked.  The proof will be in the eating.

Suzette came home at 5:30 and Willy called a few minutes later to tell us he has finished his bike ride four miles Hwy. 164 up into the Sandias from Placitas and would arrive in twenty minutes.

At 6:00 Suzette started cooking the fish tacos.  I showed her the 1.6 lb. tuna loin and it blew her mind when I told her it cost $6.97/lb.

Willy arrived at around 6:30 and we made the guacamole as Suzette made the coleslaw.

Guacamole

Willy separated the avocados from their skins with a spoon and put the fruit into a bowl.p an smashed it into a paste with the spoon. I finely diced three oz. of yellow onion and added it to the bowl.  Then I peeled 1 large clove of garlic and pressed the pulp into the guacamole and squeezed the juice of 1 lime in also.  Willy added some salt and I added a few drops of Cholula hot sauce.  I then de-stemmed the qleaves from about seven or eight stalks of fresh cilantro and chopped them and added them to
the guacamole.

 

Coleslaw

Suzette cubed about ½ of the loin into ½ inch cubes.  Then she made the coleslaw.  She sliced ¼ of the head of red cabbage and a carrot in the Cuisinart and then mixed in the tartare sauce I made yesterday wit added pickle relish and mayo.


Then Suzette fried the tuna cubes in canola oil and let them drain the excess oil onto a paper towel.



 I fetched beers from the fridge and we were ready to eat.  Willy and Suzette drank Warsteiner Oktoberfest beers and I drank a Belgium Brewing Fat Tire.

Willy told us about his new mountain bike and bike ride today and last week.  He is really loving the high country of New Mexico.

I told about my conversation with Luke and his plans for visiting for three weeks in September.

After dinner Willy played us a podcast that was very funny about Paul Manafort and Michael Cohen sharing a cell in a federal prison.

When Willy left at 8:30 I retired to the bed to blog and went to bed around 9:00.  I guess I was tired because I had not had a nap.

I love it when dinner goes from a two word suggestion by Suzette to a gourmet dinner of fresh Aji tuna tacos with fresh red cabbage Coleslaw and freshly made guacamole in warm freshly made blue corn tortillas with a good beer.  Is this what Gourmet Mexican food tastes like?

Bon Appetit or Buen Sabor


No comments:

Post a Comment