Sunday, January 7, 2018

January 6, 2018 Brunch – Roast Beef, onion, mushroom, and Petit Basque Cheese Eggs. Dinner – New Recipe: Scallop Tacos


January 6, 2018 Brunch – Roast Beef, onion, mushroom, and Petit Basque Cheese Eggs.  Dinner – New Recipe:  Scallop Tacos

We slept until 8:00 when I got up to take Willy to the airport.

Then I went back home and read my book club selection, A Man Called Ove until about 10:00, whenwe started cooking brunch.  I diced red onion and about ½ lb. of PPI roast beef and cut into bite sized pieces and  a small bag of cooked green beans and sliced the last three white mushrooms while Suzette grated Petit Basque cheese.

Suzette then sautéed those ingredients in a large skillet and added three whisked eggs .  There were so many ingredients that the flip to make an omelet failed and so we ate elegant scrambled eggs or, as I prefer to think, a Taos Pueblo tiered stack of eggs.

I toasted 1/2 of a poppy seed bagel, spread it with cream cheese, and garnished it with slices of Manchego cheese.


I drank hot lime water with the eggs.

I then returned to my book but soon fell back to sleep and slept until 2:30.  When I awakened I checked the wind velocity (light and variable) and temperature (59 degrees), so I decided to ride.  I wanted to get some energy inside me so I ate a bowl of Duck Posole with chopped onions, the juice of a small Mexican lime and a dash of oregano.

I then rode from 3:15 to 4:15 to Montano and back.

I then returned to my book until 5:15 when we started dinner.  Suzette has become infatuated with making tacos with the small taco sized tortillas I bought for Christmas, so she decided to make the dozen scallops we saved from yesterday’s meal into tacos.

It turned into a rather elaborate plate of tacos.  First, she asked me to dice a red bell pepper and a small onion while she diced the scallops and an avocado.  Then I fetched the pickle relish for her and
she made a small bowl of tartare sauce by mixing the relish with mayo and lime juice.  Finally, she chopped the remains 2 oz. of Napa cabbage with about the same amount of spinach to make a  lettuce like topping.  Finally Suzette re-heated the PPI black beans in a medium enameled sauce pan and heated six small tortillas wrapped in moistened paper towels in the microwave to soften and heat them.  Suzette also sliced three radishes and we ate those with the tacos just like in Mexico.

Suzette went to the garage for Modelo beers.

We put three tortillas on each of our plates and then added black beans, the sautéed scallop. Onion, and red bell pepper mixture on the beans and then garnished the tacos with the tartare sauce and cabbage and spinach.  We loved eating our elaborate tacos wit sips of Negra Modelo beer.




We then watched the Atlanta Falcon beat the LA Rams in the NFL Wildcard game. We stayed up for Saturday Night Live, but went to bed a bit before 11:00  when we realized it was a re-run of one we had seen before.

I did not want to eat candy after dinner so I ate peanuts instead.

This was a very restful day and an enjoyable food day with two wonderful creative meals made with PPIs.

The dish we made for Brunch reminded me of the famous Swedish dish Pitti Panna combining day old roast beef, potatoes and onions sautéed together and also the Mexican dish called Machaca, which is a combination of chili, eggs. Onions, and tomatoes.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment