Tuesday, January 2, 2018

January 2, 2018 Lunch – Vietnamese Pho. Dinner – Beef and Black Bean Tacos and Posole

January 2, 2018  Lunch – Vietnamese Pho. Dinner – Beef and Black Bean Tacos and Posole

I was thrilled to have survived my bad food from NY Eve and got up refreshed after about ten hours of sleep and a day of fasting.

I decided to celebrate with a bagel with Lax, cream cheese, red onion slices and capers and a cup of lime water with honey.

Then at 12:30 I decided the weather looked rideable, so I decided to make pho with some of the PPI rib roast and beef broth Suzette made yesterday.  I filled a two quart pot 1/3 full of water and a equal amount of beef stock.  Then I added a Pho seasoning cube and 1 large mushroom thinly sliced, about 3 oz. of sliced red and white onion, about 3 oz. of broccoli and the same amount of Napa cabbage, 1 T. of red miso, wheat, bean thread, and rice noodles and cooked the soup about twenty minutes until the ingredients softened.

I enjoyed two bowls and saved about 1/3 for tomorrow.

I started to thaw some scallops but when Suzette came home she suggested we make tacos with some of the roast beef.  I suggested we make black beans and she suggested we heat some of the Duck Posole from Christmas.  So we had a menu.

We had a bunch of epazote, so Suzette said we should add that to the can of black beans that she heated in a large skillet with ½ of a large onion finely diced, which I did.  Then she suggested that we chop some cilantro and cabbage for the tacos, which I did. The other ½ of the onion went into the beef with a liberal dash of oregano.

Willy came over to join us,  Suzette went to the garage and fetched Negra Modelo beers and then heated about seven small taco sized tortillas and plated us each two tacos with black beans, beef, cabbage, cilantro and a dab of crema.  Willy finished the rest of the meat with some beans in a taco and finally just as nachos with chips.

                                                            The last taco

The beans, taco meat and Posole 

                                                    The crema and cabbage

From no plan to a great meal in a matter of minutes thanks to a Suzette’s suggestion.

After dinner we played a game of Splendor that Willy won.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment