Wednesday, January 24, 2018

January 23, 2018. A Day of Simple Food. Lunch – Tune Up, Santa Fe.

January 23, 2018. A Day of Simple Food. Lunch – Tune Up, Santa Fe.

In retrospect this was a wonderful day of food, perfect for the duties at hand.

I ate a larger than usual bowl of granola, ½ banana sliced, blueberries, milk, and yogurt because I was unsure of my next meal.



As it turned out I was correct.  I drove to Santa Fe at 11:30 and met Josefo at his house Las Lagunitas at 12:30.  He recommended eating lunch at Tune Up Café, at 1115 Hickox.
When we arrived I instantly realized it was run by Salvadorians because pupusas were on the menu.  The menu was extensive and included both breakfast and lunch items.  I was immediately intrigued by the item identified as Tune Up’s home made Corned beef hash and the sign that said “local organic eggs upon request”.  So when it was my turn to order at the cash register in front of the kitchen, I ordered that. Josefo ordered a green chili hamburger with fried potatoes.

I was not disappointed.  Corn beef hash, when most successful as a dish, for me tastes ubiquitous, just pleasant soul satisfying comfort food and Tune Up’s version met that criteria.  Soon I was served a  small soup bowl filled with diced cubes of corned beef along with cottage fries and sautéed onions garnished with two fresh poached eggs the consistency and flavor of fresh oysters.  In other words they had an absence of flavor, which raw oysters at their best have; just a hint of the briny habitat in which they were raised.

Josefo’s hamburger patty was huge, probably ½ lb.



So my impression of Tune Up is a good menu featuring well prepared food at reasonable prices for Santa Fe.  Not glitzy, but rather very comfortable with satisfying food.  It seemed to have a steady stream of regular customers.

After lunch we went to court and were in trial until after 7:30 so I ate a subway sandwich at  Josefo and Davida’s house and drove home.

This spartan diet seemed to satisfy my body’s needs for the rigors of trial, so I will consider being more rigorous in the future.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment