Saturday, January 27, 2018

January 26, 2017 Lunch – La Salita. Dinner – PPI Chicken Calabacitas Stew


January 26, 2017 Lunch – La Salita. Dinner – PPI Chicken Calabacitas Stew


I was hungry today, so I ate two breakfasts.  First, a bagel with cream cheese, sliced red onion, capers, Lax sauce, and lax.  Then a bowl of granola, sliced banana, blackberries, yogurt, and milk.


Mike called at 11:25 and suggested we go to lunch.  I picked him up at noon and drove us to La Salita’s new location at Brentwood and Juan Tabo.  I am trying new menu items.  Today I ordered three enchiladas, two filled with sour cream and one with ground beef with whole beans and refried beans with red chili.  Mike ordered his usual sopapilla stuffed with turkey hash.

After lunch we went to Costco.  Mike wanted to buy laundry soap without scent.  The asparagus were beautiful, so we each bought a 2.25 lb. bag for 6.99.  I also bought pistachios and a bottle each of Gruet rose’ and Brut.

I finally arrived home at 3:00.  Suzette came home early.  We decided to heat the pot of Chicken and Calabacitas.  Suzette peeled and mashed an avocado into some crema to make avocado crema, which we dabbed on top of the heated chicken and calabacitas.  We drank a glass of Bogdan Sauvignon Blanc that was not good.  Suzette thought gum had been added to the wine.  It did not taste like Sauvignon Blanc grapes.



After dinner we made Clafoutis.  Suzette buttered a ceramic baking dish
and coated the butter with sugar, while I scalded 1 cup of half and half and 2 cups of whole milk.  I then measured 7 T. of flour and 10 T. of confectioner’s sugar and ½ tsp. of salt into a mixing bowl and stirred the dry ingredients to mix them thoroughly.  I then whisked three large eggs and added them to the dry ingredients and stirred the mixture.  Then Suzette pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees on a convection bake setting and then poured the scalded milk through a seize into the batter while I stirred it.  I then poured the batter into the buttered and sugared ceramic baking dish and added about 1 1/3 lb. of fresh blueberries to the batter.  We baked the Clafoutis for 40 minutes until the top had slightly browned and the custard had solidified.  I turned off the heat and allowed the custard to sit in the oven for another ten minutes to make sure it solidified.


We then soaked in the hot tub and watched Washington Week, which is now a one hour show while I ate a Swedish pastry with a shot of juniper berry infused vodka and a cup of Earl Grey tea.

Then we went to bed a little after 9:00.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment