Monday, April 26, 2021

April 26, 2021 Lunch - Oregon Dairy. Dinner - Shrimp with rice and mixed vegetables

 April 26, 2021 Lunch - Oregon Dairy.   Dinner - Shrimp with rice and mixed vegetables


I toasted two slices of bagel and spread them with cream cheese and Concord grape jelly and garnished them with slices of Havarti cheese and ham.


We worked on the van and at noon drove it to Oregon Creamery on the Oregon Pike exit of Hwy. 222.


It includes a restaurant, an ice cream shop, and a grocery store.  We ate at the restaurant and I discovered later that we will go to the grocery store tomorrow to buy food for Mrs. Lindemuth’s birthday party on Wednesday.


Suzette ordered a bowl of tomato bisque.  Jean ordered a Reuben sandwich.  I ordered a dish I have never eaten before, Chicken croquettes With mashed potatoes with chicken gravy.  Suzette and Jean said chicken croquettes is a typically Pennsylvania Dutch dish.










I thought it was bland.  There were no herbs, only minced chicken rolled in a cracker coating and sautéed or deep fried and served on a bed of mashed potatoes covered with the chicken gravy.


The tomato soup was a little more spicy but overbearing with spice.


Jean’s Reuben sandwich was also amazingly bland.  The corned beef was rather bland and the dressing was thousand island, not Russian.  


What was interesting was the hot chocolate I ordered with my meal with infinite refills.  It was rich with real whipped cream, milk and chocolate, more milky than chocolatey, but very rich and delicious.


After lunch we drove to Masonic Village to visit Mrs. Lindemuth and then we visited Don and Bev in their new apartment behind the farm house on Main St. In downtown Elizabethtown.


Don and Bev had just returned from Visiting the George Dickel and Jack Daniels Distilleries and several other in Tennessee.


They set up a table with glasses and water to taste the whiskies and Bev served an amazing whiskey flavored truffle.  After seeing Don and Bev we drove back to Jean’s house in Ephata.


Jean planted petunias and geraniums while I rested.  At 6:30 when they talked about dinner I fell asleep on the couch and did not awaken until they called me to dinner at 8:30.


Suzette and Jean had cooked shrimp with a box of ricearoni.


It was surprisingly delicious.  I drank water and the girls drank Apoteck red blend.


We watched the Antiques Roadshow and the some of Rachel Maddow.


Suzette went to bed but I stayed up to blog and Jean watched some TV, including a new show for me named Debris.


At 11:00 I went to bed.


Tomorrow we take the van to the mechanic for further repairs at 7:00 a.m. so time to go to bed.


Eating and cooking on the road will be a challenge.  I wonder how it will go.  I suspect we will change to discreet meals without as many leftovers as we usually have.  I hope it will not be exclusively boxes of ricearoni.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment