Saturday, April 17, 2021

April 16, 2021 Lunch - Padilla’s Family Restaurant Dinner - Sautéed Dumplings

April 16, 2021 Lunch - Padilla’s Family Restaurant  Dinner - Sautéed Dumplings


I ate tropical fruit salad and yogurt and granola and milk for breakfast.


Etienne was bringing a home theater receiver for me to try and arriving between 12:00 and 1:00, so I suggested we eat lunch.


Then during the morning Peter called and said he had a gift for me and asked when could he bring it.  I suggested lunch time so we could all eat lunch together. He said he would arrive between 12:00 and 12:30.  


Peter has had bad luck with cell phones and currently is without one, which makes him unique among those I know as the only person without a cell phone.  I wonder sometimes how it feels to not have a phone and try to remember how we all lived before we had this essential piece of technology.


As I recall when I discovered the utility of cell phones about fifteen or twenty years ago I began buying Apple stock and still have over 5000 shares after several sales when I was misguided by the axiom that one should have no more than 5% of one’s portfolio in any one stock.


I called Padilla’s and placed the order after discussing their wishes with Peter and Etienne; beef enchiladas with red sauce for PEter and Chili Rellenos with onion and green sauce and double beans for Etienne and me.


At 11:45 I drove to Padilla’s and picked up the order.


When I returned at 12:15 Peter’s SUV was in front of my house.  When I took the food in and opened the door PEter brought in a framed map of France with all the departments outlined in black. Peter said, “This is for your wine cellar.”


I thanked him and knew exactly where I would place it, beside the map of the Cote de Or wine district of Burgundy.


I fetched beers and we heated our boxes and carried them out to the table in the garden.  


I tried to call Etienne but got no response, so we went ahead and ate without him.  Peter marveled at how wonderful the enchiladas were.


                                                     The chili rellenos and double beans



After we finished our meal I went into the house to re-heat the sopapillas and Etienne arrived, so I heated his chili rellenos and the sopapillas and we returned to the garden with honey and Etienne ate his lunch as PEter and I ate our sopapillas.  I heated Etienne’s sopapillas inside the box and they were soft and tender, but the sopapillas I heated in their brown paper bag became hard almost inedible.  Next time I will heat the sopapillas inside the box.


Peter dozed off in a few minutes and excused himself.


After lunch Etienne brought in the home theater receiver and we checked the market.  It had been a day during which the NASDAQ was negative until the last few minutes, just in time for my portfolio to get to a minimal loss. 


 Etienne rested and then left and I rested after I finished a notice to the court to file a notice to creditors.


Suzette came home at 5:00 and I awakened.  We both ate peanut butter and honey sandwiches and watched news and Suzette slept in front of the tv because she has been waking at 6:00 every morning for the last two days to go to work.


At 8:00 when Suzette awakened, I decided make dumplings. I followed the instructions by pouring 1 T. of peanut oil and a tsp. of sesame oil into a non-stick skillet and placed 10 frozen dumplings with 2/3 cup of water in the skillet. I then covered it and steamed the dumplings at medium high heat until the water evaporated in about ten minutes.  While the dumplings were steaming I made a dipping sauce of soy sauce, about 1/4 tsp. of chili oil and two green onions thinly sliced.  I then uncovered the skillet and started turning the dumplings.  After about another 10 minutes I deemed the dumplings ready and fetched a beer and poured some into a glass and put the bottle on the table with the warm dumplings and dipping sauce.




Suzette ate three or four and I ate 6 or 7 dumplings for a lovely light dinner.


We went to bed at 9:30 and I tried to read but dozed until 10:30 when I lay down and slept until 5:30 a.m. ( a solid 7 hours for the first time in ages) when i wrote this blog as I watched Newcastle beat West Ham and the funeral of Prince Phillip p.


Bon Appetit and Rest In Peace 





No comments:

Post a Comment