Saturday, June 9, 2018

June 9, 2018 Lunch – Beef and Roasted root Vegetable Omelet Dinner – East Ocean

June 9, 2018 Lunch – Beef and Roasted root Vegetable Omelet  Dinner – East Ocean

I toasted 1/3 bagel for breakfast and smeared cream cheese on it and garnished it with slices of Lax, red onion, and capers and made a cup of Earl Grey tea with milk.

At 9:30 I went with Suzette to Costco, where we bought a bag of small potatoes, two racks of lamb, freezer bags, Modelo beer and filledbthe Mini with gas.

Then we drove to Sprouts and bought ½ lb. of liverwurst, 4.4 lb. of fresh Atlantic salmon, sea salt, duck mousse pate’, and tofu.

When we returned home at 11:30, Suzette went to work.  After I unloaded the car, I made lunch.  I sautéed 1 oz. of red onion, and added ½ lb. of PPI steak, root vegetables, and asparagus tips.  I then added two egg whites and a whole egg whisked plus two rounds of provolone.

I could only flip 1/3 of the Omelet at a time resulting in a very attractive crepe looking Omelet.

Here is the picture.



After lunch I went to the garden and picked a basket full of dill and then made Gravad Lax.  The measurements are even easier for 1 ½ times the recipe, 1 cup salt, ¾ cup sugar, and 1 tsp. of crushed ground pepper.

I layered dill, salmon, dill, and the other salmon filet skin sides out with the dry mixture coating all layers and on top with more dill on top also in a 9x7 Pyrex baking dish.  I covered with Saran Wrap and put it into the fridge at 1:00, which means, ideally I will flip the salmon at 1:00 a.m.  I lay a flag stone on top of the Saran to increase the pressure on the salmon, so the liquid produced in curing would reach a greater depth.  I usually lay a brick on top but I did not have enough room in the fridge for anything higher than a thin piece of flagstone.






I then took a 1 ½ hour nap.  When I awakened at 2:45, I took a shower and dressed.  My 3:30 appointment did not show so I was able to watch the Belmont Stakes with Suzette.  It was a very exciting race, because the favorite Justify was a wire to wire winner, leading from start to finish and handily winning the Triple Crown.  Justify is only the 13th horse in 150 years to win the Triple Crown.  Very impressive.  My dad would have loved it.  A long shot came in second, so Justify paid $3.60 for a $2.00 win ticket, $3.50 for a $2.00 place ticket, which was a gift, and $2.80 to show, another gift.

We loaded bottles to recycle and Suzette started some laundry and then at 6:00 we drove to East Ocean.  We decided to order ½ Roast duck ($12.95) and my new favorite, Fried tofu with Mixed Vegetables.  The duck is served with a light tea and soy sauce. It is fabulous.  The vegetables were wonderful tonight also.  We ate about 1/3 and packed the rest into styrofoam take out boxes to take home.  Still a great value.




When we got home we rested. I read Tuxedo Park until 8:30 and then watched Bill Maher’s June 8 show until 10:00 when Suzette went to bed.

I stayed up to blog and turn the salmon.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment