Friday, June 22, 2018

June 21, 2018 Lunch – Chile Rellenos At Padilla’s. Dinner – Teriyaki Salmon Grilled on a cedar plank with sautéed string beans, mushrooms, garlic, and shallot and rice


June 21, 2018 Lunch – Chile Rellenos At Padilla’s. Dinner – Teriyaki Salmon Grilled on a cedar plank with sautéed string beans, mushrooms, garlic,  and shallot and rice

Yogurt, granola, milk, blueberries and mango for breakfast.

At 9:00 I got back on my bike and rode about 3 miles around the duck ponds and to Marquez.

I screwed up a stock trade, making $21.00 intend of $1,200.00 by buying my position back before the market turned sharply downward.

Then Peter Eller came by for lunch and a review of a contract.

We drove to Padilla’s.  Peter ordered beef enchiladas with rice and beans and a fried egg on top.  I ordered chili rellenos with beans and quelitas (spinach and beans).









I loved my dish and ate the whole plate of food, perhaps because I had ridden and not taken vitamins today.  Peter liked his enchiladas but true to form, only ate ½, taking the rest home in a box.  Padilla’s serves real home style New Mexican food and wonderful sopapillas.

I rested a bit until 4:00 when I made a teriyaki marinade by heating ¼ cup each of soy, Aji Mirin, and sake with ¾ T. of sugar and when the mixture cooled a bit put the marinade and the 1.2 lb. piece of salmon I bought at Sprouts yesterday in a 1 gallon freezer bag in the fridge.

 When Suzette arrive around 5:30 she soaked a cedar plank in water.

Willy’s plane arrived at 6:11 and I drove to the airport to pick him up.  When we returned home I offered to make a vegetable dish with string beans, sliced mushrooms, garlic and shallot and we decided to heat the PPI rice from my lunch at East Ocean several days ago.

Suzette snapped the green beans I had bought at Sprouts on Wednesday while I sliced four large portobello mushrooms, a shallot, and a small head of garlic.

Suzette put the marinated salmon filet on the soaked board on the grill and I sautéed the vegetables in butter and a bit of olive oil in a large skillet and then covered the skillet to steam the green beans.  I did not put any salt or herb on the vegetables, but did douse them with 1 ½ T. of Amontillado sherry to make a light sauce and help create some steam.

When Suzette brought in the grilled salmon in about fifteen minutes, we heated the rice in the microwave and were ready to eat.  We decided to drink water with the meal.  Suzette divided the salmon into 1/3s; Willy took the well done 1/3, suzette took the medium done 1/3, and I took the less well done 1/3 and we each spooned vegetables and Willy and I spooned some rice on our plates.  Here is a photo of my plate.




I thought two things about this meal.  I usually marinate salmon in teriyaki sauce for two days and it becomes saturated with the teriyaki flavor but today I only marinated the salmon for a bit over two hours and I liked the lighter less salty teriyaki flavor that allowed the flavor of the salmon to shine through.

The other thing I noticed is a rather California Cuisine thing.  Not seasoning the vegetables with salt allowed for better integration of flavors between the Vegetables and the salt in the soy in the teriyaki marinade when eaten together, as we each did.  It also allowed the vegetables and the salmon to express their unique flavors, which I liked a lot.

“Less is more”, as Suzette often says.  Tonight’s meal was a great example of that.

After dinner Suzette made dessert.  She fetched the PPI apricot cobbler and Blue Bell vanilla ice cream from the garage,  warmed the cobbler in the microwave, divided it into thirds and placed a piece on each of three small plates.  We each scooped ice cream onto the cobbler in each of our plates  to let the ice cream melt a bit to make a cream sauce and enjoyed a lovely dessert.

I later drank a glass of Rompope mixed with cognac and went to bed at 9:00 and slept soundly until 2:15.



As I finish this blog a bit after 3:00 a.m. I shall return to bed until 6:00 when World Cup soccer matches begin being televised.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment