Saturday, June 30, 2018

June 30, 2018 Lunch – Cosmos. Dinner – Turkey Soup and Artichokes.


June 30, 2018 Lunch – Cosmos. Dinner – Turkey Soup and Artichokes.

I started the day with Lax and onion slices on a slice of whole wheat bagel smeared with cream cheese.

Then Suzette and I went to the Farmer’s Market where we bought three baguettes of Bosque Bakery bread and three cucumbers from Silverleaf farms.

Suzette dropped me off and I worked until noon when Peter Eller came by to go to lunch so we could discuss his newest venture.  He was buying to pay for legal advice, so I asked him to pick the restaurant. He picked Cosmos, which suited me because it was close and hopefully we could return home in time to see some of the Uruguay v. Portugal match.

Peter kept mentioning Cesar Salad with sautéed fish, so when he ordered a small Cesar a Salad with double sautéed fish, l said, “I’ll take the same.”

Peter took a high IPA beer and I took water.  I looked at the menu and saw there were several interesting fried potatoes.  When I asked Peter, “What is your favorite potatoes?”

He said, “The Sputnik Potatoes.”

So I yelled out to Cloye, our waitress, “Cloye, can we have an order of Sputnik potatoes, please.”   Soon our lunch appeared.  Here is a picture.








The Cesar salad was great and I loved the Sputnik fries.  They were swooping curves of thick potatoes deep fried.  We ate them with lots of catsup.  The fish was fresh cod sautéed in browned butter to give it a little more flavor.  The salad was fresh also and the Cesar was creamy and tasted of anchovies.  The lunch was delicious and healthy.  I loved it.

After lunch we returned home and watched Uruguay beat Portugal while we ate bowls of Clafoutis and sipped German pear brandy.



When Peter left I fell asleep until Suzette called at 5:30.

When she arrived we decided to make turkey soup and eat the boiled Artichokes.  Suzette made the soup with ½ of a turkey breast, onion, carrots, celery and the kernels from 3 ears of corn.  I added the turkey stock we had made from the turkey bones to the pot.

  Then I went to garden and picked dill for the dill artichoke dipping sauce and a dozen sage leaves,  I chopped the dill and placed it in a mixing bowl with mayonnaise, juice of ½ lemon, and a chopped shallot.

I then went to the garden again and picked a dozen sage leaves, sliced them into thin slices and added them to the soup.

Suzette went to the garden and picked a basket of sorrel and chard, which I de-stemmed and cut into bite-sizzle pieces.  Suzette made rivels and added them to the soup.

GRANDMA'S RIVELS

5.0  (4)
Recipe by MariaCBarton


“This will forever be a soup that makes me think of my grandma. Rivels are kind of simple ..

READY IN: 20mins SERVES: 6-8
UNITS: US
INGREDIENTS Nutrition
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1⁄4 teaspoon salt

10 cups chicken broth
DIRECTIONS
Bring broth to a boil while you make the rivels.
To make rivels:
Put flour and salt in a bowl.
In a separate bowl, scramble eggs with a fork.
Add eggs to flour/salt mixture and "rivel 'em up" (just stir around with a fork until mixture becomes crumbly).
Drop by small handfuls into boiling broth.
Boil for 15 minutes and enjoy!
**If the broth isn't flavorful enough, add some chicken soup base.
**You can pinch some of the dough together to get bigger "rivels".
**You can also add cooked chicken to the soup.
**Also works well with ham or beef broth.

After the soup cooked long enough to cook the carrots and corn we were ready to eat.  I fetched the ½ bottle of Robert Mondavi Sauvignon Blanc Susan gave me after the book club on Thursday night and we poured it into two glasses and we dipped artichoke leaves into the dill dipping sauce and then ate a bowl of soup.




Willy came by around 9:00 and said hello.

Later we watched Grandchester PBS Masterpiece theatre and I ate several hone roasted pecans and a sip of Calvados.

Suzette went to bed but I stayed up to blog.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment