Wednesday, June 13, 2018

June 13, 2018 Lunch – Rice Noodle Soup. Dinner – PPI rack of lamb with sautéed potatoes and mushrooms, and steamed Cauliflower




June 13, 2018 Lunch – Rice Noodle Soup. Dinner – PPI rack of lamb with sautéed potatoes and  mushrooms, and steamed Cauliflower

I ate yogurt, milk, blueberries, granola and sliced banana for breakfast.

For lunch I removed all 12 lamb rib bones from the broth I had boiled for the last two days and added a bit of water and some rice noodles.

I went to the garden and picked a handful of chard and de-stemmed it, cut it into pieces and added it to the soup, which I covered to steam the chard.

After 20 minutes or so, I ate two bowls and liked it a lot because I had left all the collagen from the lamb and cow bones in the soup.

After lunch at 1:30 I drove to the bank and then Sprouts, where I was able to buy salmon but not the asparagus on sale for $1.69/lb. I had wanted.  I also bought a pound of baby portobello mushrooms for $3.49 and country style ribs for $1.99/lb.

Still looking for a vegetable, I went to El Super for its Wednesday specials at 2:00 as the temp was hitting 101 degrees.  I felt like a quartermaster in the French Foreign Legion.

I bought limes for$.33/lb., a large cauliflower for $.69/lb., mangos for $.33 each, Serrano chili’s for $.50/lb., Granny Smith apples for $.50/lb., and a red cabbage for $.33/lb.

When I got home at 2:45 I felt like I had arrived at a cool desert oasis.

I ate a peanut coated peeled banana at 5:00 with a cup of tea and went to meditate at 5:45 until 7:00.

When I got home Suzette was resting.  She did not want to cook, so I suggested heating the PPI lamb riblets and sautéing mushrooms with steamed cauliflower.  Suzette wanted to add some of the PPI Roasted potatoes from Sunday’s meal to the sauté, and suggested we sauce the steamed cauliflower with Béarnaise a Sauce, rather than sauté it, which is what we did. I removed five large flowerets from the head of cauliflower and steamed them in a Pyrex baking dish with a bit of water and some chopped up garlic scapes.  I then sliced four large portobello mushrooms, about 1 oz. of red onion slices,y and four small cloves of garlic and Suzette started sautéing the potatoes, onion, and garlic in a skillet with olive oil to which I added 1 ½ T. of butter when I added the mushroom slices.

I turned the mushroom slices and potatoes while Suzette heated the lamb riblets in their freezer bag and the cauliflower flowerets in their Pyrex dish in the microwave.

I let Suzette pick the wine, although I mentioned Spanish Rioja.  Suzette picked a bottle of 2012 Vina Real Reserva rated 92 points on the bottle, so it must  have been bought at Costco for $9.99 to $12.99.

I let the Bearnaise Sauce come to room temperature, which meant it had the consistency of a thick paste and was spreadable with a spoon on the cauliflower.  The sautéed potatoes, mushrooms, onion slices and garlic were a wonderful accompaniment to the meal.

We ate dinner as we watched Rachel expose the latest facts of our historic epoch we shall one day refer to as the Trump Administration or impeachment.

After dinner I poured a sip of Calvados and grabbed a piece of chocolate and went to bed to read for a few minutes before I fell asleep shortly after a Suzette came to bed a bit after 9:00.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment