Saturday, June 30, 2018

June 29, 2018 Lunch – Amerasia. Dinner – Sautéed Hamburger with onions and blue cheese, steamed Asparagus and a Baked Sweet Potato

June 29, 2018 Lunch – Amerasia. Dinner – Sautéed Hamburger with onions and blue cheese, steamed Asparagus and a Baked Sweet Potato

I awakened at 4:30 and blogged until 6:00 when I rode to Rio Bravo and back.  When I returned I ate yogurt, milk, blueberries, and granola.  I took a shower and dressed and went to a 10:00 closing which went very smoothly.

When it ended a bit before 11:00 I called Aaron to see if he wanted to go to lunch.  He suggested Dim Sun so we met at Amerasia.

When Hyangmi brought the tray by she had my two favorites on it plus lots of other items.  She served me the steamed buns filled with a mixture of sweet bean paste and BBQ pork and a small bowl filled with deep fried tofu stuffed with shitake mushrooms and black wood ear strips rehydrated in a broth served in the bowl of tofu.  Aaron chose a bowl of rice with spicy pork and we selected steamed dumplings filled with beef and chestnuts.  Later we tried steamed dumplings wrapped around a pork and ginger filling.  We drank tea.  After we finished lunch I went home and worked for a while and then napped until I was awakened by Mr. Nagji’s ringing the doorbell to deliver utility bills and give me a tip.  I was touched by his kindness and appreciation for my effort to assist him in selling his motel.

After he left I watched Cramer but was unable to find out why my portfolio fell from strongly positive to negative in a matter of minutes at the end of the session.  Finally, when the nightly business report came on I discovered that the drop was caused by Canada placing $20 Billion of tariffs on U.S. goods entering Canada.  Looks like The President has started a trade war.

I started dinner at 5:00 by thawing two hamburgers.  I started baking fours sweet potatoes and the last four russet potatoes at 6:15.  Suzette arrived around 6:30, while I was making guacamole.  We decided to steam asparagus, so I snapped 19 stalks.

Suzette took over and sautéed the hamburgers and onions and steamed the asparagus while I went to the basement and sorted wine bottles a bit and selected a 2010 Wellington Mohrhart Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon, which is my favorite cab.  I opened and let it breath a few minutes before serving it.  I also decanted the wine to a wine pitcher.
I also warmed the Béarnaise sauce by placing it near the skillet Suzette was using to sauté the hamburgers and onions.  When she flipped the burgers she melted slices of blue cheese on top of the burgers.  When all the food was ready Suzette plated a sweet potato, and  hamburger coveored in sautéed onions, and steamed asparagus and I dabbed Béarnaise sauce on the asparagus and poured glasses of wine. We put guacamole on our plate and ate it with the burgers. Suzette put butter on the potato and we had a great meal.



The 2010 Wellington Cab is still my favorite.  It is fruity and balanced in tannins and fruit.  I love it.

After dinner we made reservations for the Gruet July 4th dinner and then made clafoutis. I had soaked the cherries I pitted several days ago in Grand Mariner and and cognac for several days.  I scalded 3 cups of milk, heavy cream and half and half.  In a mixing bowl I measured out 7 T. of flour and 10 T. of confectioner’s sugar and ½ tsp. of  salt.  I then whipped 3 eggs and mixed them with the dry ingredients and then added the scalded milk .  Suzette buttered and coated the butter with sugar in a ceramic baking dish. I pre-heated the oven to 350 degrees. Then I poured the custard batter and cherries into the ceramic baking dish and slid it into the heated oven and baked it for an hour at 350  degrees.  Voila.




Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment