Sunday, June 24, 2018

June 23, 2018 Lunch – Turkey Sandwich. Dinner – The Center for Ageless Living’s Annual food Event

June 23, 2018 Lunch – Turkey Sandwich. Dinner – The Center for Ageless Living’s Annual food Event

I watched Soccer, then helped Suzette dig up the garlic in the garden, then made breakfast of yogurt, milk, blueberries, and granola.

When the Sweden v. Germany ended in dramatic fashion, we drove to the new Sprouts on Coors and I bought bacon, dark chocolate covered almonds, cherries, corn, a loaf of Danish style rye cocktail loaf, and asparagus.

Then we went home and I watched the next game which I think was Mexico v. South Korea.  After the games we ate lunch.  Suzette fetched the cantaloupe I had bought at El Super last Wednesday and I skinned and cut ¼ of it into chunks and opened one of the two containers of prosciutto Suzette bought at Costco yesterday.  Suzette tore thin pieces of the prosciutto and lay them on the pieces of melon.  I also toasted a piece of Komissarbrod, spread basil mayo on it, added a slice of cheese and finally slices of turkey.  We each drank a beer with lunch.  The cantaloupe was surprisingly sweet, although not as sweet as the Santa Claus melon we purchased last week.  The sweet melon and salty prosciutto made for a great combination of flavors.  After Suzette lay down I made two Danish open faced sandwiches, one with mayo and two slices of Roma Tomato and the other with sour cream and a piece of pickled herring on slices of cocktail bread.











After the game at 3:00 I lay down and napped for 1 ½ hours until 4:30, when I showered and dressed.  At 5:40 I drove to the Center.

This was Suzette’s annual fund raiser for SC, Inc.  the non-profit she owns that provides fresh produce and herbs to house bound elders.  The theme this year was “It’s a Really big Dill” featuring dill in most of the five or six courses.  The meal is very unique because it is a  gourmet menu made with local organic ingredients and wines produced within 100 miles of the Center.  When I arrived I tasted the beef and liver meatballs with the dill tzatziki sauce.  They were delicious.  Then I walked to my assigned station under the gazebo were there was a case of Gruet Brut chilled in a ice chest and a table filled with 100 champagne glasses. Here is a picture.





                                           The chefs cooking the meal in the kitchen

I poured  Champagne until 7:20 when every one had eaten their meatball appetizer and were seated under the tent by the stage.  I then went through the line and filled my plate with four more meatballs garnished with the delicious tzatziki dill sauce and home made whole wheat crackers with a dab of dill cheese spread that was also delicious and joined Etienne, La  Marie, and Willy at a table for four.  The tent was filled with about 100 people.  We fetched a glass of the Pasando Tiempo Vineyard Rose of Zinfandel, which tasted much heavier and syrupy than what I recalled drinking at the vineyard.  It was interesting discussing each of the wines with Etienne, who has been a wine maker for over 35 years and could critiques each wines flaws.  As it turned out the Corrales Winery Riesling and Pasando Tiempo Chardonnay were the best of the lot.

We then went through the serving line and got our the main course, which included a fresh salad with a buttermilk dill dressing, a beet, carrot, and Creme fraiche soup, a sautéed trout filet dusted with blue corn meal and served with a dill sauce, which I missed and a wonderful lasagna made with fresh ingredients from the Center’s garden.  I loved everything and so did everyone at the table.  Slices of homemade bread made with Valencia Mill’s flour were also served with dill infused butter, which Willy really enjoyed.

                                             Willy, Etienne and the buffet line

             
La Maya and Willy


My dinner



After dinner sopapillas made with Valencia Mills’ sopapilla mix were served with lavender infused honey for dessert.  As far as I could tell everyone liked everything and the dinner was  a great success.  Suzette read a funny vegetable punned poem that made everyone laugh and the staff was introduced and the Kilt Check beer and Valencia Mills folks spoke about their businesses.  I left around 9:30 and arrived home a bit after 10:00 we watched a few minutes of a Saturday Night Live re-run and then went to bed.

I can not explain how wonderful a gourmet meal made with all local ingredients is.  You feel extremely satisfied but do not feel the normal feeling of eating food with preservatives.  I guess the best way to describe the food is “clean”.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment