Tuesday, April 3, 2018

April 3, 2018 Lunch – Warm beef and potato Salad. Dinner- Stir Fried Scallops with Sorrel, spinach, and arugula

Warm beef and potato salad with cheese sandwich


April 3, 2018 Lunch – Warm beef and potato Salad. Dinner- Stir Fried Scallops with Sorrel, spinach, and arugula.

I ate yogurt, blueberries, milk, and granola for breakfast.

I spoke to Luke and he told me to avoid dairy and sugar, so I will switch to oatmeal.

For lunch I made a salad again.  I heated the last piece of pot roast and a few pieces of roasted potato in the microwave.  I freshened up my Caesar salad dressing with three chopped Spanish sardines, an egg,  some olive oil, and a squeeze of lime.

I also made a cheese sandwich by melting slices of Jarlsberg cheese on a toasted piece of German rye bread and drank water.

At 3:45 I rode to the Campbell Rd. in a strong head wind.  When I turned for home I was blown home with the aid of a 15 mph breeze.

Rather than go to the store I decided to thaw a lb. of scallops.

At 5:00 when Suzette had not arrived I decided to make a stir fried dish with some arugula and sorrel from the garden and the last of the spinach.  I picked a basket full of sorrel and arugula and a few sprigs of dill.  I cleaned them and de-stemmed the heavier arugula stems.

When Suzette came home she was hungry, not having eaten during the Dayana agreed to a Chinese stir fried dish.  I peeled and sliced two shallots, a small head of garlic, and about 1 ½ T. of fresh ginger.  I then snapped e ends off eight stalks of asparagus and sliced them int ½ slices.

I fetched the white soy, sesame oil, Chinese Cooking wine, and peanut oil and cut each scallop in half.


I heated about 2 T. of peanut oil and 1 tsp of sesame oil in the wok, and then added the asparagus, shallot, ginger, and garlic.

After a minute I sliced and diced ¼ red bell pepper and added that to the wok.

After another minute I added the scallops and stir fried those ingredients for a minute or two.

Then I added about 1 ½ T. of Chinese rice cooking wine and some white soy and a dash of salt and the green vegetables.  I stir fried the vegetables into the mixture and covered the wok to steam the vegetables.  There was a lot of liquid in the bottom of the wok, so I quickly mixed a T. of cornstarch with 2 T. of rice Cooking wine and 1 T.of soy and 1 tsp. of  sesame oil and a dash of water and added it to the wok.  In a minute the liquid thickened and we were ready to eat.

We drank water with our dinner.  The scallops were rich and tender and the vegetables were pungent and flavorful.  I love cooking with ingredients from our garden.


We ate so quickly, I forgot to take a picture until Suzette’s last bite

We watched Real Madrid beat Juventas in a quarter final match in the UEFA competition.  The great moment was when Ronaldo scored his  second goal of the night with an over the back scissor kick that brought everyone in the stadium to their feet and will probably go down in history as one of the great UEFA goals.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment